Hive Alive BBC2 On Now!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too was somewhat concerned about the fast and loose attitude to protection clothing, even if the bees are calm. To have Chris standing behind the hives in a short sleeved shirt was a touch irresponsible on the part of the Beeb and may give rise to the wrong impression of our little friends.

I potter around my apiary all summer long wearing shorts and a T-shirt and never come to harm. If you disagree then perhaps you need to think about getting some calmer bees!

I thought the whole program was excellent. Content spot on, and presenters all great. Looking forward to next week. Thanks to all involved.

The product placement is interesting. In Martha's series everyone was wearing a suit bearing a star on the breast. This time they all bore a yellow rectangle. And the hives had a green logo, readable in one shot. Were the manufactures asked to pay for the exposure, or simply to provide the product free in exchange for the advertising. You can be sure it wasn't a coincidence.
Once upon a time the BBC banned a Buddy Holly song because it referred to a fizzy drink by the brand name. These days, the market rules.

I potter around my apiary all summer long wearing shorts and a T-shirt and never come to harm. If you disagree then perhaps you need to think about getting some calmer bees!

I thought the whole program was excellent. Content spot on, and presenters all great. Looking forward to next week. Thanks to all involved.

+1

I was interested in the statement that the queen decides whether to fertilise an egg or not. At a recent lecture I was informed that the antennae and/or feet (can't remember which) measure the size of the cell and chemical/hormonal signals whether to fertilise (or not) is as a response to this. Automated and not a "concious decision".
Also the queen decides to swarm?
Overall a fascinating insight.

Me too:)

As for the protection issue - filming the whole thing with veils is really clunky and doesn't work for long conversations. We were both happy to be there and neither of us got stung but then we are both used to being around these insects (and far worse). I doubt anyone watching is stupid enough to approach a beehive without protection or experience/judgement but if so, then like many animals before them, they'll rapidly learn...it's not like "bee = sting" is an novel concept.

When our group were introduced to our first beehive, our mentor didn't wear a suit. A couple of people then decided that they didn't need to wear one too. Irresponsible in my view. One did not attend again, but the other guy continued to refuse to wear one until I became in charge of the colony, at which point I insisted. You are right about the learning though - he got his own bees, and took 18 stings to his chest and neck in his first week.

I also wondered about that pearl of wisdom lol

All joking aside though, I thought it was a brilliant program and I learned a few things. I'm glad the BBC made this little series.

Blimey Adam you're brave reading reviews from the most likely harshest of critics! Good show and keep pushing for more of the science. Support others views about points need to be made about the time commitment needed for learning and undertaking beekeeping - too many underestimate.
Looking forward to the piece next week on bee stings - I started off with no reactions to stings but getting worse so will be keen to see what my little buzzers do to my body when they sting me.

When our group were introduced to our first beehive, our mentor didn't wear a suit. A couple of people then decided that they didn't need to wear one too.

I was told this story last month - a few years ago there was a beek in our association who was determined not to wear PPE and was trying to find some potion to put on his hands to stop stinging. Each week he'd turn up to the beginner's class with swollen hands, when asked he would reply - ' I am determined to find something that will deter the bees from stinging me'
The next month he arrived all smiles with normal hands. 'Have you found something?' they asked 'yes' he replied, delved into his bag - and pulled out a pair of welder's gloves!

In my limited experience, bees anticipate electrical storms (I imagine, through a blinding headache) better than I ever can. You are welcome to use your tender bits as weather forecasting equipment but I'm not so confident...

The next month he arrived all smiles with normal hands. 'Have you found something?' they asked 'yes' he replied, delved into his bag - and pulled out a pair of welder's gloves!

:icon_204-2:

Seriously though, why do some people insist on not wearing a suit? Is it bravado? In his case I think it was, and false sense of security as my bees were really laid back. I won't have it though, no casualties on my watch!

:icon_204-2:

Seriously though, why do some people insist on not wearing a suit? Is it bravado? In his case I think it was, and false sense of security as my bees were really laid back. I won't have it though, no casualties on my watch!

I don't wear a suit ever. A jacket most times.

Decent bees don't attack at the slightest provocation..

Why do some UK beekeepers persist with bees that run on combs, are aggressive or swarmy? Any sensible person would requeen for summat better..

SWMBO is convinced that a couple of the "honeybees" they showed on flowers were actually andrena fulva (tawny mining bees)

I agree but you need a good suit to go in doing the necessary manoeuvres to get the re queening done! I have to say since I have had the Teflon coated one from one of the well known suppliers I haven't had a single sting through it. Well worth the investment.

Madasafish, you know me, I've always been a nervous keeper ;) The reason I insisted is because I was a new beekeeper with no experience, and as gentle as I am, running a group, you have to let everyone ' have a go ' and some were clumsy. Surely the most placid of bees become pests at some point? How do you deal with that situation, for instance, when I treated my bees for varroa they were uncharacteristically annoyed. They didn't chase or act aggressively, but they certainly weren't happy. How do you manage in those circumstances? Do you keep a suit for times like those?

I agree but you need a good suit to go in doing the necessary manoeuvres to get the re queening done! I have to say since I have had the Teflon coated one from one of the well known suppliers I haven't had a single sting through it. Well worth the investment.

This sounds interesting - who supplies Teflon coated bee suits? Please share.

Back