High blood pressure and sting reactions

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enrico

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
spoke to someone today who had a bad reaction to a sting and was going to have a desensitisation course. Their doctor realised that she was on high blood pressure medication. Apparently any beta blockers may cause a bad , even anaphalctic, reaction to stings. Thought I might mention it in case it applies to anyone on high blood pressure medication.
E

I think there is an increased incidence of anaphalaxis with some types of beta blocker, but not all. However, they all counteract adrenalin wich you may need if you get a lot of stings at once. So they do increase the risks and some are worse than others

NSAIDs including ibuprofen increase the risk of anaphalaxis also. I was advised to avoid them during the beekeeping season.

Have heard similar with common anti inflamatories such as Ibuprofen & diclofenac http://www.consultant360.com/story/nsaids-may-provoke-systemic-allergic-reactions-bee-stings

diclorfenic... reported on forum many times.

Also Adrenaline ( as in Epipen) should only be administered to person it has been prescribed for... is a stop gap whilst Paramedics are scrambled... to stop BP from tumbling in shock... not a cure for beestings!

Also done to death on the forum.............
#DO NOT BUY IT ON INTERNET YOU COULD KILL SOMEONE!

Yeghes da

spoke to someone today who had a bad reaction to a sting and was going to have a desensitisation course. Their doctor realised that she was on high blood pressure medication. Apparently any beta blockers may cause a bad , even anaphalctic, reaction to stings. Thought I might mention it in case it applies to anyone on high blood pressure medication.
E

some ACE inhibators as well, particularly perindopril

Latest posts

Back