hex jars are these ones ok for honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkermel

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Ok peeps! just done my first proper extraction thanks to the loan of a table top 4frame extractor.

I have some 1lb jars, however I like the idea of selling smaller 12oz jars and being able to keep it below the £5 mark I found these on ebay and it appears to be the company that has been mentioned before on here, BUT just want to confirm that these jars are exceptable for honey. After pointers about my labels I would as always appreciate your advice. Price looks quite good to me too!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260795013769?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

For this amount Wynne Jones is £22.00 for 84 jars and 100 lids.
Carrriage is extra - if you phone them in the morn they will tell you exactly)

Hex jars are fine but they tend to get an air bubble in each corner so before they set try and tip the air bubble out, I'm being a bit of a perfectionist but it looks nicer!!!
Always use new jars and new lids if you are selling your honey. Never know who has washed paint brushes in second hand ones, and even then I run them through a hot wash in a dishwasher.I prefer twist lids rather than screw lids but up to you. I use oval 12 oz jars as they are a bit different. The more different you are the better your honey sells!
All the best
E

For this amount Wynne Jones is £22.00 for 84 jars and 100 lids.
Carrriage is extra - if you phone them in the morn they will tell you exactly)

looked at their site and it was working out at 51p per jar I think if you included postage, but these are only 41p or have i done my maths wrong again!!

Enrico could you send me a link re jars? sounds interesting! the only jar I am reusing is to a personal friend who will save the 50p by providing the jar.

wouldnt dare use otherwise.

Ok peeps! just done my first proper extraction thanks to the loan of a table top 4frame extractor.

I have some 1lb jars, however I like the idea of selling smaller 12oz jars and being able to keep it below the £5 mark I found these on ebay and it appears to be the company that has been mentioned before on here, BUT just want to confirm that these jars are exceptable for honey. After pointers about my labels I would as always appreciate your advice. Price looks quite good to me too!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260795013769?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

be careful 12 oz jam jars may be bigger than 12 oz honey jars

i don't know the exact volume of each are but a quick non scientifci check in the cupboards shows 12 oz jam jars 300ml to rim and 12 oz honey jars 280ml

NB the amount of jam in a 1lb honey jar weights about 14oz

ask them for the volume to rim and volume to load level

Last edited:
be careful 12 oz jam jars may be bigger than 12 oz honey jars

i don't know the exact volume of each are but a quick non scientifci check in the cupboards shows 12 oz jam jars 300ml to rim and 12 oz honey jars 280ml

NB the amount of jam in a 1lb honey jar weights about 14oz

ask them for the volume to rim and volume to load level

not worthy Cheers MM this isthe sort of thing i was worried about!! so when I ask them re v to rim and volume to load what figures do I want???

not worthy Cheers MM this isthe sort of thing i was worried about!! so when I ask them re v to rim and volume to load what figures do I want???

the ones i use are 285ml to top and and 245ml to the top of the shoulder bought at stoneleigh and YES 12oz at £4.50 sell better than 1lb at £6:00 as they look the same size on the stand :rolleyes: also they can relate the size to retail shop sizes

245ml *1.4g per Ml(density of honey ish) =343 so can hold 12oz of honey (340g),
1lb honey jars on the compak site are 354ml and 1lb jam jars 380ml

http://www.compaksouth.com/shop/jamjars/traditionaljamjar.html

Have you tried your lacal association?

We purchased, with another BKA, a pallet of 12oz hex jars and lids and resell 45 boxed for £10.90 to members, a little over 24p a jar, or they can save 55p unboxed.
Will find out who and where supplier is.

Russ

Yep mm this was the sort of figure I was thinking of, with it being just under £5 its more tempting as customer gets honey and change! will phone this lot tomorrow and presumable just ask them what ml they take then.

Russ thanks for looking into for me, dont have a lot to do with our local ass as I just dont have the time to make the meetings.

looks like they are the same jars as Compak, (the company appears to be in the next street to compak in bristol and their range of jars is almost identical)

so i think they are 285ml to rim and the same as the one i use for 340g/12oz of honey

sorry Milkermal, can't send you a link. I was passing a health food shop and saw that he had the jars for sale for 30p each. Saw that they were different so went in and said I would buy all he had if he reduced the price. Got about 100 for 23p each with lids... Lucky break I guess
E

looks like they are the same jars as Compak, (the company appears to be in the next street to compak in bristol and their range of jars is almost identical)

so i think they are 285ml to rim and the same as the one i use for 340g/12oz of honey

I was wondering if they were one and the same company must admit. I will give them a call and check it out.

As always your help is much appreciated. wish I had found them sooner mum just down from Bristol!

Latest posts

Back