Help explain please!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

springersports

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
This has been a weird year in Iowa.. early my bees came to the hummingbird feeders for a long time. Now I have a couple of boxes that the bees are on the outside - they move back and forth in the same spot... does anyone know what is going on with this? It is hot here and I have seen them on the outside before but not acting like this. Any input would be appreciated - thanks

A question...has anyone seen washboarding on poly hives?

I saw this recently on one of my cedar boxes which I had not had a chance to varnish before placing into service. I was wondering if they were collecting resin which had been drawn to the surface due to the hot weather? Could this be an explanation?

Mine are painted so not sure what they are doing... never heard of washboarding, but will try to find some info Thanks!

as it's a phenomenon that needs investigating, a simple idea if anyone with a microscope wants to try...

mount a clean microscope slide near the entrance when they do this, then inspect the slide afterwards to see if they're coating the surface with anything...

it looks like an out of context behaviour. it will probably make more sense in the tree setting. I 've seen bees removing soft material from around the entrance of a hive (in this case a cardboard box.) in a tree context this could mean they are stabilising the entrance preventing the tree or mould regrowing over the entrance hole and providing a clear landing zone

They do it on the landing board and entrance of my poly give but not quite so regimented as in the video footage.

I've not seen this yet on my hives but what I have noticed is returning foragers seem to be pretty unconcerned about where on the front of the hive they land.

Some on the landing board but lots just land anywhere and walk down to the entrance and go in upside down.

I wonder if this is adolescents being schooled, where they are tasked with cleaning residues left on the front of the hive from foraging bees after these landings?

I saw this earlier this year. My friend who has 30+ hives hasn't seen it yet. I had to ask and YouTube as always has videos on it. Weird looking eh? Only about a dozen of mine were doing it.

I think Michael Palmer posted something about it, but when, I couldn't tell you. :D

Latest posts

Back