Heather beetle

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddydog

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
150+ nucs and hives
Gamekeeper spoke to me today and said the Heather beetle is looking bad this year. Does anyone know if it affects yield?

Also has anyone tried abelo's adjustable galvanised hive stands?

Gamekeeper spoke to me today and said the Heather beetle is looking bad this year. Does anyone know if it affects yield?

Also has anyone tried abelo's adjustable galvanised hive stands?

Yes badly...Eastern Nth Yorks moors suffer badly from it as not managed and burnt off enough.

Yes been using the Abelo adjustable stands for a few years now. Not cheap but what a brilliant piece of kit, level hives on any ground. Just about to take some up to the moors tomorrow to set a heather site.

Last edited:
Yes badly...Eastern Nth Yorks moors suffer badly from it as not managed and burnt off enough.
That's 'conservation' for you, even though formal shooting ended in this area in the 1920's, local people still managed the heather for both the grouse and the grazing - I have a photograph of my mother with my grandfather in the early 60's celebrating the twelfth with a brisk after work walk, standing not far from where they then lived - less than half a mile from me now - the mountainside behind them and surrounding was a purple blanket of heather, then the National park came along, 'conservation' was enforced, now the area is just grass and bracken - it's another hour's hike to any significant heather

That's 'conservation' for you, even though formal shooting ended in this area in the 1920's, local people still managed the heather for both the grouse and the grazing - I have a photograph of my mother with my grandfather in the early 60's celebrating the twelfth with a brisk after work walk, standing not far from where they then lived - less than half a mile from me now - the mountainside behind them and surrounding was a purple blanket of heather, then the National park came along, 'conservation' was enforced, now the area is just grass and bracken - it's another hour's hike to any significant heather

Yup.spot on, people forget moorland needs to be managed it's not a natural environment. Fortunately I'm on the side of the moors where, shall we say, the elite get to miss the grouse and enjoy the hospitality ...and I get to put some bees up there.
T'other side is owned by National trust so going to pot rapidly.

Severe outbreaks on the western North Yorkshire Moors this year too

Back