Heated uncapping knife

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most have the earth on the side not in the two prongs.

On the side of what?

"If there is a fault in your electrical installation you could get an electric shock if you touch a live metal part. This is because the electricity may use your body as a path from the live part to the earth part.

Earthing is used to protect you from an electric shock. It does this by providing a path (a protective conductor) for a fault current to flow to earth. It also causes the protective device (either a circuit-breaker or fuse) to switch off the electric current to the circuit that has the fault.

For example, if a cooker has a fault, the fault current flows to earth through the protective (earthing) conductors. A protective device (fuse or circuit-breaker) in the consumer unit switches off the electrical supply to the cooker. The cooker is now safe from causing an electric shock to anyone who touches it." Electrical Safety First Org.

Most have the earth on the side not in the two prongs.

I think you mean on the side of the plug. looking at the photo this item does not have that means of earthing. Even if it did you would struggle to find a suitable (legal) adaptor in the UK. If the element in the blade fails you WILL wind up with a live blade as it can't short to earth and blow a fuse or trip a safety device.

If there is an earth wire/ connection on the plug and 3 core cable the safe option would be to discard the fitted plug and fit a standard 3 pin plug. If there are only 2 cores I'd return it to the supplier as it does not meet UK regs and is not safe to use.

Last edited:
On the side of what?.

You need to look at one.... they are perfectly safe. Its a small recess (the earth) on the side of the plug which when fitted into a continental plug or UK adaptor is inaccessible to being touched. Bit like you can touch the earth prong (or any others) of a UK plug, but not when it is plugged in. They aren't totally stupid on the continent.
I'm not saying every 2 pin plug has one but every one I have for 220v has and the adaptors all have the earth connection.
It's impossible from the picture to see whether it has one or not as such poor resolution.
Anyone who has bought any electrical equipment from Abelo will know exactly what I'm talking about....they are all 2 pin + earth as are the free adaptors they provide.

Last edited:
Even if it did you would struggle to find a suitable (legal) adaptor in the UK..

All my adaptors have these earths and I haven't struggled to find them.
I still have lots of UK 220v stuff like lamps and other stuff that have no earth wire....

You need to look at one.... they are perfectly safe. Its a small recess (the earth) on the side of the plug which when fitted into a continental plug or UK adaptor is inaccessible to being touched. Bit like you can touch the earth prong (or any others) of a UK plug, but not when it is plugged in. They aren't totally stupid on the continent.
I'm not saying every 2 pin plug has one but every one I have for 220v has and the adaptors all have the earth connection.
It's impossible from the picture to see whether it has one or not as such poor resolution.
Anyone who has bought any electrical equipment from Abelo will know exactly what I'm talking about....they are all 2 pin + earth as are the free adaptors they provide.

Thanks for the clarification, now I understand your comments.

I think you mean on the side of the plug. looking at the photo this item does not have that means of earthing. Even if it did you would struggle to find a suitable (legal) adaptor in the UK. If the element in the blade fails you WILL wind up with a live blade as it can't short to earth and blow a fuse or trip a safety device.

If there is an earth wire/ connection on the plug and 3 core cable the safe option would be to discard the fitted plug and fit a standard 3 pin plug. If there are only 2 cores I'd return it to the supplier as it does not meet UK regs and is not safe to use.

It's a wild exaggeration to say all appliances with only 2 conductors in the flex are not safe to use. There are many approved items which are constructed with double or reinforced insulation (class 2 appliances). These meet both UK and European standards of safety.
Look for the symbol of a square within a square which indicates this.

Any mains-powered device with a metal body should have an earth connection to avoid the chassis becoming live in the event of failure, this does not protect against ignorance though. Many, many years ago when appliances often came without a plug, my [then] wife wired up a washing machine and asked me to check it before plugging it in. Just as well as it was wired in such a way as to make the chassis live and because of the rubber feet it was just looking for a full circuit i.e. anyone who touched the machine!

Latest posts

Back