Extracting by hand or machine?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nannysbees

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just wondering when you extract do you do everything by hand We have five hives but only 2 ever produce, I uncap using a decapping fork, spin then jar using a scales, label by hand. On the grand scale of things not a huge amount of work. I've seen the bee farmers using amazing machinery, I especially like the auto fill machine and the automatic labeller. I don't even use my heated knife!!!! What do you use as I know you produce much more than us?

If the honey flows well and there are few frames, manual work will not be a problem. Even so, I use a radial electric extractor with a capacity of 20 frames. I think that for heather, a thicker honey, it is more usual to use a press.

I generally use a knife to uncap but have a fork, slice and heat gun on hand just in case I get bored. (I’ve even tried Martin’s uncapper)
Extraction using a 12 frame Konigin electric.
Jarring using Smart Weighing machine.
IMG_0784.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1520.mov
    20.1 MB
Dried using homemade supers dryer,Uncapped with warm breadknives,12f electric extraction,jar to the brim by hand from settling tanks ,labels done on inkjet stickerpaper.

Have been known to carry 12kg of orders in bagforlifes on the half mile walk to work.
Very very occasionally.

I think that for heather, a thicker honey
it's thixotropic, so you cannot extract it with a radial extractor - and even with a tangential extractor if you 'loosen' the honey first with an agitator of some kind.

Just wondering when you extract do you do everything by hand We have five hives but only 2 ever produce, I uncap using a decapping fork, spin then jar using a scales, label by hand. On the grand scale of things not a huge amount of work. I've seen the bee farmers using amazing machinery, I especially like the auto fill machine and the automatic labeller. I don't even use my heated knife!!!! What do you use as I know you produce much more than us?
Hobby keeper here. All by hand except the spinning
Uncap with a ham knife and a fork for the missed bits.
Vista print for labels. I always do them. Don’t trust anybody else to get them straight.

Been using a manual extractor, have a Maisemore budget electric but waiting to hear back from them following some issues.

I use one of the uncapping slices. It's usually effective. A regular fork helps for missed bits.

Jarring by hand from a rectangular bucket with valve.

Labelling using self made labels on inkjet or laserjet but just about to switch to made. Costs more but saves me time.

40+ years down the road, hot air gun that I happened to have from a phase of model making, a 9 frame electric extractor of my own ( only in the last two years) before that a group of us shared the expense of one and before that a three frame tangential hand model. Fill jars by hand, print my own labels and apply myself. Amazingly satisfying

I generally use a knife to uncap but have a fork, slice and heat gun on hand just in case I get bored. (I’ve even tried Martin’s uncapper)
View attachment 37137
Wow that looks really organised, a room designated to honey, I'd love to be able to keep the equipment out . Extractor and jars kept upstairs, brought down when needed, supers and brood boxes in the garage a small freezer in the garage, other bits in different places.

Hobby keeper here. All by hand except the spinning
Uncap with a ham knife and a fork for the missed bits.
Vista print for labels. I always do them. Don’t trust anybody else to get them straight.
Use avery but looking around!!!

View attachment 37137
Didn't realise this was a video just downloaded it. That's a smart machine does it weigh the exact amount for you?

Didn't realise this was a video just downloaded it. That's a smart machine does it weigh the exact amount for you?
Yes, if you look at the video the right hand display (required weight) is set to 227g and the left hand display (actual weight) is increasing until it gets to 227g. The machine works out how soon it closes the pneumatic valve depending on the viscosity of the liquid by doing a trial run at the set up.

Yes, if you look at the video the right hand display (required weight) is set to 227g and the left hand display (actual weight) is increasing until it gets to 227g. The machine works out how soon it closes the pneumatic valve depending on the viscosity of the liquid by doing a trial run at the set up.
Brilliant I'd love that.

If I had my choice again I’d buy the HQ machine as it is smaller an probably copes better with soft set.
Both sold by Thornes.
Can I ask how many hives you have and how much on average the honey you produce?

Can I ask how many hives you have and how much on average the honey you produce?
At present I look after about 80 colonies inc. nucs and this year I will probably extract about 2500lb.

At present I look after about 80 colonies inc. nucs and this year I will probably extract about 2500lb.
Just a few not than my 5 then 😀. Amazing, than machine must be a godsend. Do you supply shops with that amount of delicious honey?

Just a few not than my 5 then 😀. Amazing, than machine must be a godsend. Do you supply shops with that amount of delicious honey?
Yes a few more but they are not all mine and the honey from my client’s hives often goes straight back to them after jarring, Most of my honey is sold directly from shelves outside my house but I have several retail outlets that I supply.
With the increase this year (last years harvest was about 1600lb) I am approaching a few more outlets.

Latest posts

Back