Has a queen emerged from this cell?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falesh

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
2 (Poly)
One of my hives lost it's queen and built a load of supersedure cells. I went through today and removed them all (I hope). I did spot the cell in the image which looks fat enough to be a queen cell but it lacked a top. Does this look like a cell that a queen has emerged from? One other consideration is that all of the other grubs in the queen cells were in the white and mushy stage so if this was a queen cell it must have been made a little while before all the rest, which seems a bit unlikely.

If it is then do you think it likely that she is still in the hive? The thing that makes me wonder is that the other queen cells were healthy so if she was around she hasn't gone on a killing spree which makes me think she may have flown away with a small number of bees.

Cheers!

emerged_queen.jpg

If you have lost your queen . Why are you ripping down the cells that are there . Is it not better to let a couple develop and have a new queen emerge ?

I am using Buckfast queens rather then letting my own develop. The small expense of buying them in every 2 years is worth the advantages they bring for me.

Does this look like a cell that a queen has emerged from?
A cell that has a ragged edge at the bottom is usually one that has emerged. Sometimes the base is completely removed and sometimes it can be resealed

Last edited:
Gut reaction as I can't be positive but I would say that is quite an old cell and not a recent one. Not even sure it is a queen cell! Doesn't help much but .......best I can do.
E

I am using Buckfast queens rather then letting my own develop. The small expense of buying them in every 2 years is worth the advantages they bring for me.

What advantages do they bring you instead of breeding your own?

Is it a play cup that's just been built around? There seems to be no sign of past occupancy and I've never seen a QC look like that. There again I've not been at this as long as many on here.:)

What advantages do they bring you instead of breeding your own?

I have chronic fatigue, which means I have bugger all energy. Because of that I can only have the hives in my back garden and I can't reliably inspect every week in swarm season. The Buckfast queens I am using are friendly, good for our garden and neighbors, not swarmy, good for my inconsistent inspections, as well as being very good honey producers.

I would rather pay £40 every two years to ensure these good qualities rather then gamble with letting them make their own queens.

I have chronic fatigue, which means I have bugger all energy. Because of that I can only have the hives in my back garden and I can't reliably inspect every week in swarm season. The Buckfast queens I am using are friendly, good for our garden and neighbors, not swarmy, good for my inconsistent inspections, as well as being very good honey producers.

I would rather pay £40 every two years to ensure these good qualities rather then gamble with letting them make their own queens.

I fully understand your reasoning Falesh. Trying to maintain a regular inspection routine when prone to unpredictable relapses is very difficult.

Could you get someone to deputise for you (ie a friend interested in your hobby) to do a quick inspection when you're unable to?

Thanks for the replies. I also found it odd at the time as it didn't look like any other queen cell and was flush to the comb as well as the wire at the bottom looking almost like there was no wax over it at all.

I fully understand your reasoning Falesh. Trying to maintain a regular inspection routine when prone to unpredictable relapses is very difficult.

Could you get someone to deputise for you (ie a friend interested in your hobby) to do a quick inspection when you're unable to?

Fortunately my energy is fairly consistent, it's just that it's consistently very low. :p I can manage inspections every 2 weeks with 2 hives. If needs be I can handle more in an emergency, like this situation, but I have to fuel myself on chocolate and then really rest up after. Beekeeping is definitely worth it though as it is such a rewarding hobby!

I don't think it's a qc.I use starter strips and often see comb built like the one in your photo

Thanks for the replies. I also found it odd at the time as it didn't look like any other queen cell and was flush to the comb as well as the wire at the bottom looking almost like there was no wax over it at all.

Fortunately my energy is fairly consistent, it's just that it's consistently very low. :p I can manage inspections every 2 weeks with 2 hives. If needs be I can handle more in an emergency, like this situation, but I have to fuel myself on chocolate and then really rest up after. Beekeeping is definitely worth it though as it is such a rewarding hobby!

You should fuel yourself on honey :icon_204-2:
Assume you are unable to work? beekeeping is a good choice of hobby for your situation. Lots of sitting and thinking which keeps boredom at bay. Not too much manual graft.

On your video your bees are calm and well behaved. Hope your requeening goes well. I'm in the process of requeening my hive from hell with a buckfast queen.

You should fuel yourself on honey :icon_204-2:
Assume you are unable to work? beekeeping is a good choice of hobby for your situation. Lots of sitting and thinking which keeps boredom at bay. Not too much manual graft.

On your video your bees are calm and well behaved. Hope your requeening goes well. I'm in the process of requeening my hive from hell with a buckfast queen.

My drink of choice is a teaspoon of honey in hot water rather then tea, I also like it in other things like porridge. I am one of the few beekeepers who, over the year, will actually use the full honey output of at least one hive and maybe two. :D

and there I was thinking it was an emergency cell from which the queen has emerged... the surrounding cappings and wax seem to be new, and the cell seems to me to be receding into what would be the base of a worker cell. I can almost see the remains of the queen cell attached to the normal worker brood, below the hole from which she emerged.

Though I probably need my eyes tested!..... (And I am assuming that the pix have been taken with the frame the right way up, 'cos I can't tell from the photos!!)

But I am definitely in the minority...bring on the incoming :redface:

Back