Green honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aye ok send me your address I’ll make it a 12 oz for the same price.
I said that once and ended up posting 2 oz jars all round the United Kingdom. My lime honey was green but not that green and it stayed perfectly clear. It really is fascinating!

you have to be careful - a lot of the time it's the colour of the glass rather than the honey. I remember years ago I had a pallet full of jars from Patteson's which was distinctly green. I won the commercial class at the Gower show that year and the judge (who was fairly local) sook me out to have a chat as he was fascinated 'by the green tinted honey' I hated to burst his bubble when I told him it was the glass :icon_204-2:
See ITLD's Post in this recent thread about a green hue in glassSelling honey from the hives in the UK

No thanks. I wouldn’t bet on that being honey.
This is, though

View attachment 33528
What does it taste & smell like? We bought a jar this year from your part of the world. It looks just like that but Mrs F refuses to touch it - she says it "smells like a farmyard". I've heard dandelion described as "smelly socks"

I've heard dandelion described as "smelly socks"
It does at first but mellows. I love the taste and so do some of my customers. It crystallises very quickly so I soft set it. That in itself seems to mute the aroma. I do have small 15lb bucket aside to sell as runny, along with the soft set ,at the Conwy honey fair. Ive never seen any sold there before so we will see.

I do have small 15lb bucket aside to sell as runny, along with the soft set ,at the Conwy honey fair. Ive never seen any sold there before so we will see.
after being sat in a bucket for a few months the 'aroma' will have gone, leaving just the fantastic flavour

It does at first but mellows. I love the taste and so do some of my customers. It crystallises very quickly so I soft set it. That in itself seems to mute the aroma. I do have small 15lb bucket aside to sell as runny, along with the soft set ,at the Conwy honey fair. Ive never seen any sold there before so we will see.
Good tip - thank you. Like Sturmer Pippin, no good until after Xmas :) Soft set sounds like a good idea, the same jar is rock hard now

I think it’s lime some of it is very translucent and it tastes citrusy could also have phacelia nectar in it.
Last year we had lime honey but it wasn’t so green .
A few years back inspecting a hive in central London which had a few cell with light green honey in. It tasted very Limey and there were many lime trees in the area

Back