Great British Food Revival

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There were some lovely recipes on there, definitely worth a try. I did find it odd that he unzipped his veil to try the honey right next to the open brood box. Call me a wimp but I don't think I would!
Then it made me laugh when he was talking to the London beekeeper and a bee was close to him and he swiped it away!

I find that my bees dont look at the plants in my garden...
The idea is to plant in big groups so that there is a BIG attraction for the bees. My plants are always humming.I don't know whose bees they are. My bees are about a hundred yards away and a neighbour has a couple of hives the same distance from mine.
It's well known that bees don't use flowers adjacent to the hive but I have planted lots (1000) of crocus about 10 yards from the hives with the idea that the bees might fly out a short distance in the winter and the flowers were really busy.........might have been my neighbours bees though......spit!!!!

Give your neighbour the plants and you would have room for more hives...:sifone:

Call me a wimp but I don't think I would!
Its the "townies" that are supposed to be afraid of bugs...........and cows and smells..

I'm not a townie, not since I escaped the east end! couldn't imagine living there now! I still wouldn't fancy unzipping my veil and trying honey that close to the hive. Asking for trouble.

It's well known that bees don't use flowers adjacent to the hive but I have planted lots (1000) of crocus about 10 yards from the hives with the idea that the bees might fly out a short distance in the winter and the flowers were really busy.........might have been my neighbours bees though......spit!!!!

We've done similar - but the crocuses (croci?) are about 60 yards away, and they were indeed "humming". Most amusingly the bees were attacking the ones that weren't open and trying to get inside. The plum tree blossomed 2 weeks later, and that was also humming.

I hope they do go for large patches of plants close to hives - we've planted 2 acres of sainfoin about 30 yards from the hives!

We've done similar - but the crocuses (croci?) are about 60 yards away, and they were indeed "humming". Most amusingly the bees were attacking the ones that weren't open and trying to get inside. The plum tree blossomed 2 weeks later, and that was also humming.

I hope they do go for large patches of plants close to hives - we've planted 2 acres of sainfoin about 30 yards from the hives!

I think its closer than say 15ish metres that they ignore except maybe in times of dearth and they do forage closer than that in the winter on nice days, ie crocuses. Something to do with not attracting attention from 'other bees' and wasps re robbing. Read it somewhere, sometime ago:.) I also planted crocuses nearby, very nearby, 500 at each apiary, did notice that my iti's foraged them more (at out apiary) than carni's at home though.

Best piece of advice I have ever seen on one of these programs. "best way of supporting british bees is buy british honey".

Nail on the head imho.

It's still not on the Iplayer! However the one from last night is. Must be because I want to watch it!!!!

i tried downloading this morning - get iplayer automator can "see it" (audio described version) but can't download.

soemone at beeb not pressed right button yet - or perhaps having to reedit after complaints that the audio description just kept describing AH in the popularly accepted terms!!!!!!!

"The idea is to plant in big groups so that there is a BIG attraction for the bees"

agree - have 2kg of borage seeds about to be sown.

We have at least a dozen members who have joined the forum with @BBC email's.

If they dont put it up soon I am going to email them all and complain !! :smash:

I might even withold my licence fee.

One thing that annoys me about these programs is, in the adverts and some pictures they keep showing Bumble Bees, as do some jars of honey! Giving the impression to some that honey comes from Bumble Bees!:confused:

i tried downloading this morning - get iplayer automator can "see it" (audio described version) but can't download.
Have never downloaded any TV progs, but I note that it says you have 30 days to watch them...... What happens then? Do they self destruct?

"ts available to watch now, better be good lol"

yes appears to be downloading fine. i'll supply my own abusive comments about AH later.

"Have never downloaded any TV progs, but I note that it says you have 30 days to watch them...... What happens then? Do they self destruct?"

if you use BBC iplayer downloader then yes. at 30 days they disappear.

if you use get iplayer downloader they don't (although they are the iphone versions the images are fine to view on laptop or larger screen)

You can't watch them after the expiry date in my experience. The file will remain on your computer but when you try and access it the pc will go on the web and check you have the rights to view it and at that point it will say "tto late" or words to that effect.

The iPlayer is a bit odd. I once sent a link to a friend in France (yes I do have a few friends) but he couldn't watch the programme as it only works in the UK and perhaps a few dominians.

People have produced a few hacks from time to time but the BBC are usually very quick to close them off.

I didn't know about the iphone versions having a longer shelf life. You can't watch them after the expiry date in my experience on a pc. The file will remain on your computer but when you try and access it the pc will go on the web and check you have the rights to view it and at that point it will say "too late" or words to that effect.

The iPlayer is a bit odd. I once sent a link to a friend in France (yes I do have a few friends) but he couldn't watch the programme as it only works in the UK and perhaps a few dominians.

People have produced a few hacks from time to time but the BBC are usually very quick to close them off.

That's odd, my posts are breeding...must be the time of year.

Latest posts

Back