Great British Food Revival

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnfly

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
BBC2 Tonight, Series in which well-known chefs popularise traditional British produce. Ainsley Harriott campaigns for British honey and Glynn Purnell rides to the rescue of British cheese.

Don't worry about it, the AMM brigade don't miss a cchance to mislead the public about the great attributes of the their bees. What disease resistance? To foulbrood? To acarine/paralysis?
I don't think so.

Resistance to programs like being a singing Master Chef while Dancing on Ice with roller skates in the jungle..

Ainsley Harriot was not as OTT as usual and thus I thought the programme had a lot of good aspects. Interesting honey shop as well. I thought lots of viewers would take away some messages whether to use more honey themselves in cooking or eating, plant suitable forage or start to keep bees. Might try the goats chees and honey salad recipe.
Tricia

I sold 8 jars online within an hour of the programme finishing, so it shows that these programmes, like them or not, have a positive effect on promoting british produce.

I can't stand Harriot normally but he toned it down for this. Pretty good overall i thought

The only bit I found a bit odd was him tasting honey from a brood frame with that high-rise beekeeper. I'd have thought any honey in the brood chamber would be likely to be a mixture of sugar syrup and thymol!!

I suppose it might if they were fed syrup all year round...

The only bit I found a bit odd was him tasting honey from a brood frame with that high-rise beekeeper. I'd have thought any honey in the brood chamber would be likely to be a mixture of sugar syrup and thymol!!

Depends upon when it was filmed.

I missed the program myself sadly. Does anyone know if it's being repeated?

I thought lots of viewers would take away some messages whether to use more honey themselves in cooking or eating, plant suitable forage or start to keep bees. Might try the goats chees and honey salad recipe.
Tricia

Mmmmm that goats cheese recipe sounded good.
As for plants, I find myself looking for bee-friendly ones all the time. Nothing gets planted unless it is useful for all types of bees.
I found some Manuka shrubs in Homebase yesterday...half price as they were battered. I persuaded them to let me have them bogof and got four :)

As for plants, I find myself looking for bee-friendly ones all the time. Nothing gets planted unless it is useful for all types of bees.
I find that my bees dont look at the plants in my garden...

What I mean is that any honey in the brood chamber will not be "pure" - it's bound to be tainted with something.

surely anything thats in the same hive will be tainted with something.......

thymol,
syrup,
dirty water,
paint,
wood preserver,
varroa control chemicals...

anything that they have been walking about on.... frames that are ?? years old.......

I was having dinner and only caught the Cheese bit.
Just checked iplayer and see its not up yet.

Just waiting for the BBC YTS lad to finish his fag and upload it on to iplayer.

Latest posts

Back