Good Tempered Hive In 2011, This Year & With The Same Queen Is Now Bad Tempered?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bee-Key-Pur

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
1+
My best hive last year was very easy to work with, a very good tempered hive. Last year they were in one 14x12 BB, this year they have expanded into two 14x12 BB’s and are producing lots of honey, they currently have two supers on.
I let it go that way because I wanted to graft from that Queen and use the large hive as a cell raiser.

However, I’m now having second thoughts about the idea.

My question is, why have they become so bad tempered? Is the hive to big now for the Queen pheromone to get to all parts of the hive?
But having said that, they aren’t making Queen Cells !!!

Didnt know you had any friendly bees...:smash: :biggrinjester:

Maybe as you suggest lack of queen smell, or protecting their honey, supercedeure, is she the same one ?

Pete D

different sperm from spermatheca??

Didnt know you had any friendly bees...:smash: :biggrinjester:

Maybe as you suggest lack of queen smell, or protecting their honey, supercedeure, is she the same one ?

Pete D

Yes she is Pete, she is marked and clipped...

Maybe they have been chatting with my other bad tempered hive!

I can't wait for the Queens I ordered to arrive so I can requeen them all, but I guess the guy must be having the same problems we've had with the weather, as I haven't heard from him yet!

Last edited:
I've had the same.
I can only conclude it's caused by the decline in pheromone from the old queen.

If anyone knows better I would like to know.

One of mine has bees that have taken to following me, never did that last year. (New queen last july)

Latest posts

Back