Good bye to the Swallows

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete D

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
50+. Double Std National & 14x12
Heard some over head birds yesterday and looked up to see about 40 swallows in a flock all twittering away as they were heading south.
Well into Autumn as just been outside and the first seine of geese has just come in off the marsh and landed on a field of beet tops about 200yds from my house.
6 months of dark and dreary coming up me thinks :eek:

Pete D

Saw thousands of swallows (or was it swifts?) and housemartins yesterday evening feeding above a flooded water meadow in east dorset.

Swallows and housemartins still here, too - haven't departed yet :)

Swallows and housemartins still here, too - haven't departed yet :)
There are records of swallows over wintering in the UK in recent years, only a handful and in milder areas. Coastal bird observatories get records of swallows passing through well into October some years.

A few martins here,swallows gone about two weeks,swifts went in August practically overnight. Strange that....swallows gradually leave but swifts just go!!

I have been seeing skeins of geese for a week or two, one yesterday was fifty strong, heading off across the sunset.

But, autumn or not, the ivy round here is covered in butterflies - red admiral and others. Is that normal? Are they trying to make up for the lack of summer? Best crop of ivy flowers I have ever seen - at least one crop enjoyed the weather this year! Bees going berserk

Also had loads of geese flying overhead, daily it seems for last 2 weeks. Not noticed any swifts, swallows or housemartins for a couple of weeks, maybe they've gone? Also quite a few butterflies on ivy.

Swallows/Martins gone a couple of weeks from here - Mid West. We don't get many geese but the real sound of autumn/winter for us is the Whooper Swan and will be arriving in the next few weeks.

Swallows/Martins gone a couple of weeks from here - Mid West. We don't get many geese but the real sound of autumn/winter for us is the Whooper Swan and will be arriving in the next few weeks.

It will be the cranes, here

It will be the cranes, here

I envy you living in France. We have been going for the last 15yrs on holidays. Favourite spots are the Forest of Gresigne in the Tarn, the Couserans in the Ariege and South Aveyron.

Latest posts

Back