Getting ducks?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biglongdarren

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20+
Hey i am thinking about getting a couple of call ducks and was wondering is there much to looking after them, i have never had ducks before.
Will they come home to their house in the evenings on their own, the photo is of where they will be housed and with the hole in the wall at the stream allowing them to go into the fields during the day.
I have yet to sort a house for them and was wondering would a wheelie bin layed on it's side do as shelter for them at night with the lid down till i get something better sorted?
I also will have a fence across from the corner of the house till the pillar in the wall to stop them coming into the yard.

Darren

The damned calling ducks will bother you more than the bees bother the ducks :)
They aren't called calling ducks for nothing !
They have a couple at the farm where my apiary is situated , they bully the other ducks . All the ducks browse around the beehives , they'll eat owt . I've a couple of oak trees in the apiary and in Autumn time the ducks spend hours rooting under the fallen leaves, after acorns . They spend days after all have been eaten , it's as if they can't believe the source has dried up ! :)
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

we have two ducks that live around the hives, my wife's "pets" if I could get away with shooting them I would, bloody noisy things, need shutting away each night or mr fox will have them, as they have in the past, nice getting eggs every day though

Ducks are crapping machines a friend got rid of his as they were so messy

We have six runners they are completely potty but a real joy don't be put off ducks are great and the eggs are the best if you like baking, hope it goes well

all my hives are 5 miles away so that won't be a bother and they won't be able to get into the yard to dirty it so that won't be a problem either.

Calling ducks aren't very big about half the size of the Aylesbury duck , bonny little ducks but they are noisy as they were bred as decoy ducks !
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

have decided to go for the miniature apple yards, can get some at 8weeks old, is there an ideal age to get them at or does it matter?

Darren

have decided to go for the miniature apple yards, can get some at 8weeks old, is there an ideal age to get them at or does it matter?

Darren

Probably not.. Just need more time on gas mark 6 the bigger they are.

it will be manky within 6 weeks, and winter time - well it will be slurry. but if you aren't worried about that then fine, What is the fox situation like around you? long grass and hiding places can be heart breaking. with regards to bees, mine aren't interested. as for coming back, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, you will need to get a routine going - bucket of feed rattled usually helps. they will need to go out to the fields else this area would be too small I personally think. but ducks to me seem to take a lot less care than chickens. you will need to get secure housing sorted asap as foxy doesn't mind a climb if there is tender duck on the go!

Last edited:
the stream floods with any heavy rain so will clear itself all the time, as for the foxes i will shoot them so nothing to worry about there either, i have built them a house so will be getting them the week after next so we will see how it all goes then.

Darren

the roof has waterproof felt under the weather board and it is glued at the joints so should hold ok with a tin ridge, all i have to do is coat the inside maybe with some waterproofing paint for the floor, they will be able to swim underneath the house and through the hole in the wall into the field, when the river is not in flood.
Darren

I got the four call ducks on monday (2pair) and the first two mornings they came out of their house on their own, but since they would sit inside all day and have to be chased out, once out though they love it and look very happy, is it normal that they don't want outside first this in the morning???

Also how do i train them to go into their house in the evening time, at the minute all i can do is round them into a corner and lift them in???

thanks Darren

I have runner ducks and trained mine as ducklings to go in by laying a trail of garden peas with more inside the duck house. I also always said the same thing "come on everyone in" (boring but true) and eventually they got the idea. Now I only have to call down the garden "come on everyone in" and they go inside. Doesn't work on my teenagers.

Edited - making it clear trained to go in the duck house NOT my house.

Call ducks are a pain in the ass for noisiness! Indian runners are great ducks and not as noisy by a long way, they do like company so shouldn't be alone. As previously mentioned they are VERY messy, crap out 3 times as much as they consume and will eat any plants you've got!

Back