Game of Thrones: what happens next?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
10-20 depending
I'll find out next weekend (and will try to remember to post) but in the meantime, all speculation welcome as to what happens in this situation. I have a theory.

Strong colony with Q in 3rd season was vertically A/Sed late April. I was not fully comfortable with new Q and reunited mid-June as a 2Q stack for a while while I checked her out. I had been bleeding flyers, so this would give her the full resources of a strong colony and a fair test. So: Floor, old Q, QE, supers, QE, new Q, roof. Configuration lasted about 3 weeks.

With the whole colony at her disposal she fires up, and I see her twice on the QE; fattest Q I have ever had so all good. Proper reunite time.

Oops. The lower box had started to supersede and had emerged a couple of the cells. Ahem. The old Q was still there: I thanked her for three great years and a strong line and squished her.

Oh well; let the bees decide and, fat or not, I have absolutely no ability to deal with any more Qs so, with no newspaper or anything, I left double brood as: Floor, old Q, new Q, QE, super, roof.

Who wins, Elizabeth or Mary?

Last edited:
The virgin every time, faster and more agile.
Since we've just had a period of the best mating weather I've seen and it seems you know it'll be the virgin that wins out. I can't help but wonder why you're doing it.

The virgin every time, faster and more agile.
Since we've just had a period of the best mating weather I've seen and it seems you know it'll be the virgin that wins out. I can't help but wonder why you're doing it.

It's a fair question. Partly to understand the processes in a hive. As I said, I have no room or interest in establishing yet another colony. And the relevant apiary is full. The weather looks set fair; my colonies send clouds of drones up at present. I have 4 or 5 Qs in mating nucs that need a home. And partly a lack of a serious alternative without a lot of work and disruption. With two emerged QCs down below am I looking for two VQs or one? Nightmare.

The reason I agree with you is not so much unarmed regal combat. This is Cersei Lannister, remember, surrounded by a retinue. "Power is power" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvkuePL7oDY . Rather, I have contrived a merge here and whenever I reQ by merge, I get supersedure cells that I have to take down for several weeks. This is sort of a short circuit on that process.

Anyway; the score is:

LQ: 1
VQ: 2
DK: 1

Latest posts

Back