Freezing tubs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enrico

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I know if I freeze a jar of runny honey it stays runny until defrosted. If I froze a 15lb tub of runny honey would the same thing happen? Just wondered if it was an alternative to heating it.

I know if I freeze a jar of runny honey it stays runny until defrosted. If I froze a 15lb tub of runny honey would the same thing happen? Just wondered if it was an alternative to heating it.
It stays runny until defrosted?
Odd freezer you have there in the levels…..

It stays runny until defrosted?
Odd freezer you have there in the levels…..
Not clear I agree! If I freeze runny honey and then take it out of the freezer some months later it remains runny honey until it naturally crystallises as it would have done had I not frozen it. Still clear as mud ( or crystallised honey🤣)

Probably. I think you will just have to experiment and let us know.
I have a feeling I wouldn't be able to freeze it quick enough and that it would crystalise in the centre. I will let you know the result!

I think it will be down to freezer temperature within a few days & will be fine.
From what I've read this is the best way to keep honey - it's enzymes degrade much more slowly & DMF levels also stay low. The low temperature and high viscosity slows crystal formation.
I guess most of us don't have the freezer space though! You'll still probably have to warm it a little to make jarring it easy of course.

Not clear I agree! If I freeze runny honey and then take it out of the freezer some months later it remains runny honey until it naturally crystallises as it would have done had I not frozen it. Still clear as mud ( or crystallised honey🤣)
Understood🤗

I got some wide shallow rectangular lidded buckets from Solent Plastics so I could get a supply of crystalised ready quickly for soft set.
They fit really well in the fridge and the temperature can penetrate effectively.

Id imagine the same would be true for freezing it.

I got some wide shallow rectangular lidded buckets from Solent Plastics so I could get a supply of crystalised ready quickly for soft set.
They fit really well in the fridge and the temperature can penetrate effectively.

Id imagine the same would be true for freezing it.
I understand 15C is the optimum temperature to encourage granulation, though I can't remember where I read that, so the fridge may be too cold.

I understand 15C is the optimum temperature to encourage granulation, though I can't remember where I read that, so the fridge may be too cold.

I had a figure of 14°C in my head, but I doubt there's much difference. Over the winter some of our house reached that kind of temperature and you could almost watch the honey crystallise, though I have one odd jar that is still liquid for the top two thirds whilst the bottom third is solid.

James

I got a second hand fridge off Facebook marketplace for £15 and hooked it up to an STC1000. I've set it to cycle between 13-15 degrees. I'm very pleased with how it is working. No need to put a hole in the fridge, the temperature probe lead is very thin so I just dangle the lead in through the front and close the door on it. I'm intending on putting a 60 watt greenhouse heater
in it, so it will also work for warming honey too.

Latest posts

Back