Frame fell off holder with Queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If nothing else, a salutary lesson on using those ridiculous frame holders - should only be used for keeping the first frame out of the box safe whilst you do an inspection (after all the bees have been shaken off) but what's wrong in just propping up said frame (free of bees) up against the hive near the entrance?

Agreed but what about the profit sellers make from these devils instruments?
:dupe:

That is so true. I make sure I have the crown and pen somewhere close so I can reach them without looking at them.
Cazza

also check you pen is working well.... before marking!

also check you pen is working well.... before marking!
..........................never shake it with the lid off, and never ever keep your Crown of thorns (especially without it's protective foam) in your back pocket then jump into your vehicle/sit down in your beesuit :eek:

All

1. I did not look for eggs but saw lots of new larvae. I focused on searching for QC's. (LESSON LEARNED: check for eggs on any inspection. Particularly after Queen loss scare.)

2. LESSON LEARNED: I may not know what a QC looks like but now know what it doesn't look like.

3. As you can probably see, I used the "lean frame above lower box" (brood 1 in this case) method. It was pretty obvious and the geometry of fashioning the frame against the inside of the box and the top of the lower frames made for a sturdy enough position to work> LESSON LEARNED.

4. I will avoid the frame holder unless totally necessary. LESSON LEARNED: Not required, entrance to the hive is fine enough.

5. LESSON LEARNED: "Where ever you lay your frame, shake your bees" (the line of a song but that means shake them into the hive.)

6. LESSON LEARNED: Make sure pen is working (or paint is shaken) for marking.

7. A second hive help compensate for issues in the first and vice versa. LESSON LEARNED.

7. REMEMBER: Remove crown of thorns from back pocket before the seated position (similar for those picnic table things in the middle of takeaway pizzas.)

Thank you to everyone on here. Have learned more in this active tutorial than a world of books. Shall go back to bee school soon and keep soaking it up.

Latest posts

Back