foundationless - wire or fishing line?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, the extractor is manual and has a mesh cage. It can take two frames at a time. (It's about time I upgrade!)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I generally do everything you've suggested (apart from thicker foundation). I guess I'm sometimes just a bit too rough with the spinning.

Kitta

Wire the frames. That it solution.

Warning: This is probably a stupid question, but, if I don't ask I won't know for sure.

I had a great year this year with foundationless, apart form one or two rouge frames it worked perfectly.

I have a question about drone comb, as I've moved into winter I've removed some of the empty drone frames and replaced them with worker comb.

My (probably stupid question) in wild hives do the bees tear down one type of comb and replace it with another type. I.e. tear down worker and replace with drone.

I'm assuming they don't but thought I'd check :)

They are capable of tearing down comb, but would they tear down worker and then replace with drone? I doubt it.

If they were likely to do this then it would happen all the time in hives full of foundation.

They are capable of tearing down comb, but would they tear down worker and then replace with drone? I doubt it.

If they were likely to do this then it would happen all the time in hives full of foundation.

They certainly do re-work comb from time to time in my foundationless hives - holes appear in the comb and then a week later they have built it out again - I haven't seen any identifiable pattern or reason for it - perhaps they dismantle bits to use elsewhere that they need it when there isn't enough new wax to do what they want ? Who knows - bees do what bees do ?

Latest posts

Back