Food Grade Plastic Question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackcavebees

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Beekeepers are ever the optimist ...

My local bakery gets caramel in 12.5kg plastic tubs with lids. These are heavy-ish grade and i can't tell the difference from the ones you buy on e bay for honey storage use. Any problems giving them a good wash and using them for honey storage, even if the honey was to be then jarred and sold on to the public?

I wouldn't see any problem, if they can be washed well enough that no smell or other trace of their previous contents remains. (Quite a big 'if' actually.) I'd also prefer a blander original use. Caramel makes me think of HMF, which you really don't want associating with your honey.
I'm sure they have other tubs, eg for their Creme Pat pre-mix, that would be a better choice than caramel.

However, I wouldn't necessarily expect officialdom to approve.
Although I wouldn't be going out seeking their pre-approval ... as that would indicate that I wasn't certain that there was no detriment to my product and customers. And before using anything like that, I would be absolutely certain no harm would come from it.

Good point itma...anything that can taint plastic will taint the honey. Some use food grade plastic bags as inserts.

Anything with a triangle thingy with a 5 in the middle is food grade recyclable. The link provided by DulwichGnome, which is where I looked some years ago, gives the following re Grade 5

"PP is one of the leading materials used for film extrusion and has in recent years benefited versus cellophane, metals and paper on account of its superior puncture resistance, low sealing threshold and competitive price. PP Film is available either as Cast Film or bi-axially orientated PP (BOPP). The film market may be divided in to three main sectors:

Food and Confectioneries
Tobacco
Clothing

The food and confectioneries sector is the largest of the film markets with usage ranging from confectioneries to crisps and biscuits. Tobacco products represent a significant market for PP (second largest after food and confectioneries). Rigid packaging subdivides into a multitude of packaging applications from caps and closures to pallets and crates."

I get buckets from a food producer that had confectionary fondant in them and that is what I use. However, be careful in case any had, say, mint chocolate in them because they can taint honey stored in them for a long, long, time.

2nd hand food grade buckets are the bread and butter of beekeeping.

echo the points raised about pervasive aromatic taint though - steer clear of mango chutney containers.

I would look at buying these from the likes of Pains, as they only cost less than £2. Why take the risk, plus they have the tamper evident plastic thing. Then you know for sure.

I would look at buying these from the likes of Pains, as they only cost less than £2. Why take the risk, plus they have the tamper evident plastic thing. Then you know for sure.

No risk involved with just a tiny bit of common sense and recycling is good for everybody.

Back