Fondant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mothman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Is Bakers fondant the same as fondant Icing? Can I feed my bees with fondant Icing my wife has not used? will they be put off by the colour?

Is Bakers fondant the same as fondant Icing? Can I feed my bees with fondant Icing my wife has not used? will they be put off by the colour?
Hi Mothman, this has come up before.
A few times. Or more!

Don't use coloured.

Ready to roll plain fondant icing isn't quite the same as "baker's fondant" or bee fondant/candy.
Supermarket icing is more expensive, but available off-the-shelf in small quantities.

There's a bit of disagreement about using it for the bees.
Some wouldn't dream of using it, never have used it and warn others off.
However, Terry Clare, the head of BIBBA, uses it (ADDED - for queen rearing) and says there's no problem.
I believe him.
I've used it (when urgency of a small quantity trumped all else). No problem.
The principal 'extra' is a little fat/oil - which the bees normally get from pollen (pollen isn't pure protein!)

And you shouldn't need to be feeding fondant at this stage of the year ...

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies - I was just wondering if I could use some leftovers from my wifes cake making later in the year...

The other leftover I am likely to have is a load of thymol treated sugar syrup as the bees seem to have stopped feeding - will it keep until next year or is there something else I can do with it?

Back