Flood damage

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisfnvs

Field Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How has everyone fared with the floods this year ? i remember last time Chris B and Bates had some problems, i have not had any direct problems with the water reaching the hives but can not get to two sites due to the surrounding roads being flooded hence unable to check stores etc. hope is all ok with you guys Chris

No problems this time around except fields too wet to drive to bees. So I missed a few opportunities to rearrange bees a bit but no worse than that.
I've now learned where to look on the EA website for river levels so better prepared now anyway.

Thats good to hear Chris, just hope the rest fared the same with no damage.

We learnt from last year, only 1 flood site we remained using but moved to the next field on high ground. As soon as we heard of the rain we had them stacked 3 pallets high and so far no issues. Boggy but we can still get in with the new truck.

The main site that flooded last year was in a very bad way, in fact worse due to the River Severn bursting its banks so it was good we chose to abandon it and the position where the bees once were was also over waist height in water.

Good news also Bates, i think the main problem is access to check on stores etc as i has been so mild, i have not been able to get to two sites since a couple of weeks before Xmas !!, hopefully at the weekend :hairpull:

Checked out a batch of sites today in a clear patch, stores seem fine. Clusters look good, overall pleased but still have Feb to battle through and can only hope for a better Spring!

Waters been up again, few stray pallets appear to be the other side of the field so water must of been fairly high. This weathers starting to pi** me off, trying to get stuff done is a nightmare. Stacks & stacks of painting to do.

The bees seem ok but the van died on me ! water got in the electrics it took me a couple of days to dry it out finally got to check some bees today, i agree Bates i am getting fed up with all this rain, roll on spring :sunning:

Severn's Burst its bank again more rescuing ahhh had enough!!

Certainly had enough of it, even if it is good for the garden, they would love some of this rain in California.

Not good around here either.

One apiary I can no longer access by 4x4 as the lane is flooded, so I have to resort to going by foot.

Not sure that I can take all this exercise!

Yes i thought last winter was bad enough but this year has been the worst on record with more to come !! fed up with it now we deserve a good summer this year :hairpull:
Hope your bees are ok Bates

Bringing up this topic again but
:hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull:

Nope, trucks shot a wheel bearing so spent all Sunday trying to fix that she sat on axle stands now and just a bit paranoid with all the flood water. At least I chose a nice day yesterday, problem is the hub wont split so its been soaking over night and I can only hope it will split today.

Whats the truck as my other job is fixing cars and 4x4s

Mitsubishi L200, I'm a bit of an all rounder. Comes in good use! Managed to get it sorted and I'll be putting her back together today.

Back