First swarm call of the year

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdsandbees

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 ish
As per the title, got home from work this evening to a message about a swarm, turned out to be just a small cast but I boxed them into a Nuc and brought them home, the lady says she usually gets several in her garden per year so no doubt I'll be back there again.
Also spotted quite a few scout bees checking out my bait hive at home, could be another on its way.
It got me thinking about the lay lines or magnetic fields stuff regarding why swarms will settle at the same places each year?

It is due to traces of 9-HDA Queen substance ( 9 hydroxy (E) 2 Enoic Acid) on the branch

Well I could understand that as it would make perfect sense, a bit like a swarm lure would and also if they were always on the same tree or bush but I gather that the one last night in the hedge was a first time location and that other separate trees in the same end of the garden have been host to the swarms. Just odd that they pick one location not necessarily one tree/bush in that location.

Well I could understand that as it would make perfect sense, a bit like a swarm lure would and also if they were always on the same tree or bush but I gather that the one last night in the hedge was a first time location and that other separate trees in the same end of the garden have been host to the swarms. Just odd that they pick one location not necessarily one tree/bush in that location.

Check the neighbours on Google Earth :- )

Check the neighbours on Google Earth :- )

Thanks that gives me something else to do. Only confirmed two beeks nearby so far in my swarm collection endeavours. One by peeking over the fence and on one occasion the beek came walking by, but it was not his of course. I suspect, it might have been if it had been a big primary though.

As per the title, got home from work this evening to a message about a swarm, turned out to be just a small cast but I boxed them into a Nuc and brought them home, the lady says she usually gets several in her garden per year so no doubt I'll be back there again.
Also spotted quite a few scout bees checking out my bait hive at home, could be another on its way.
It got me thinking about the lay lines or magnetic fields stuff regarding why swarms will settle at the same places each year?

If you're that confident make a bait box and leave it there if she'll let you.

If you're that confident make a bait box and leave it there if she'll let you.

That's a bloody good idea!

She says she will keep my number handy by the phone for the next one but a bait hive would reduce the need for speed :willy_nilly:

Latest posts

Back