First sting of the year!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Clearing some dead bees from a hive entrance and got stung by a guard bee.
I intend to keep count this year of my number of bee stings!
At least I got to Jan 16th without one.
Anyone earlier?

I think I prefer my record year of 2018.

Never lit the smoker at all and less than 10 stings for the season.

:)

PH

PH

Roughly the same here and what stings i did take where my own fault.. not wearing wellies and crushing the odd be by mistake..and funny enough i have one very defensive F3 buckfast colony and that never stung me once..

PH

only 130 odd stings in 2018# (no gloves and jacket only).. Mainly other people's bees..

( I am now immune to bee venom except in large volumes)

# 220 odd in 2016

I am not a masochist. Really. Truly.

only 130 odd stings in 2018# (no gloves and jacket only).. Mainly other people's bees..

( I am now immune to bee venom except in large volumes)

# 220 odd in 2016

I am not a masochist. Really. Truly.
I am not immune to Alcohol but i like it...i am immune to bee stings but dear lord i do not like them.. i avoid stings at all costs..

Have a nasty reaction to bee stings so try to really avoid them. But have had some stings through my gloves and feel this has helped as only a tiny bit sore.

Have a nasty reaction to bee stings so try to really avoid them. But have had some stings through my gloves and feel this has helped as only a tiny bit sore.

I too have nasty reactions that has developed from no reaction to epipen carrying over the last three years. I think it has made me a better beekeeper though, I take my time to ensure I'm gentle with the bees and consider everything I do to make sure I am disturbing them as little as possible.

the only sting I had last year was when I was moving empty supers in the bee shed and there was a single bee hiding in there. Got stung on the end of my little finger and like a total idiot sucked my finger and then spent a lovely afternoon in a&e with my face blown up like a balloon, my finger was fine though!

Moved four hives to a new apiary beginning of this week. A few poor things emerged into the cool air and settled on me for warmth. One still with me as I took my gloves off and decided to express the objection to being moved felt no doubt by all her sisters. Bit of a sore pinky for a few days, that's all.

Removed 2 colonies from a church roof without a sting but I got a sting from the 3rd whilst looking for the queen on removed comb. I placed the comb on my hand and obviously trapped a lady between my hand and comb. She showed her disapproval but I hardly felt it, maybe I've become more tolerant?

Latest posts

Back