First hived swarm inspection

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spanker

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi all

Ive just collected my first swarm and put it in a hive I've put a queen excluder on the bottom they've been in there for about 36 hrs they seem to be doing there stuff.
ive seen them coming back with pollen today

how long before i remove the queen excluder?
how long to leave them before first inspection?

I gave them about a pint of syrup to give them a boost should i give them more or wait a couple of days?

thanks

Hi all

Ive just collected my first swarm and put it in a hive I've put a queen excluder on the bottom they've been in there for about 36 hrs they seem to be doing there stuff.
ive seen them coming back with pollen today

how long before i remove the queen excluder?
how long to leave them before first inspection?

I gave them about a pint of syrup to give them a boost should i give them more or wait a couple of days?

thanks

Excluder off now. You could have a quick peek inside to see if you can see any eggs. I'd leave at least a week to do a proper inspection. Feed if pouring with rain otherwise don't.

thanks
ill take the excluder off this morning
forgot to mention they've only got new foundation no drawn comb so will need to build a lot.
is there enough nectar around at the moment?

get the excluder off ASAP - you don't know whether the swarm has a virgin queen who needs to go out and see the boys
Regardless of whether there's a flow on - swarms are wax making machines - feed them a few pints of 1:1 syrup and they'll fill the box with comb in no time

Latest posts

Back