Facebook Page

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not a lover of FAB either Brosville but Paul is trying to raise awarenes of our BKA via this medium. We do have an "official" page too which might have slipped by Paul however the last update was 29/07.
The official website is dire too but one of the new crew is trying to get to grips with it.

Russ

Interestingly, there are two websites. The one linked on the facebook page and the one Russ is talking about.

What I can't work out is why GBKA is affiliated to BBKA and not the Welsh Association. Last time I looked Gwent was in Wales.....

Just sent them an e-mail to ask why BBKA and not WBKA. :cheers2:

Our website has all the information, but to bring it into 2011 we have implemented a Facebook page, to raise awareness of our association and attract more younger generation.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.666943,-3.017487

How long has wbka been going, most of the members are stuck in there ways, but very lovely. Haven't got a definitive answer as I'm not in control of the web site.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.666929,-3.017383

...and attract more younger generation.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.666943,-3.017487

Interesting, these references to the younger generation (even from you, the architect of this page), seems to me that the majority of middle aged people -as well as quite a few older ones- that I personally know have some kind of presence on facebook; it's far from being solely a young persons thing. This is perhaps why Thor**s, Bee We*ver, Dad**ts (and, seperatly, the world famous bee magazine which they publish) and the Apiculture/social insects lab at Sussex Uni to name but a few have set up fb pages.

Yes I admit that there are very real privacy concerns (I for one even went to the 'trouble' of setting up a free email account just for facebook -interestingly this account which is only used for fb receives zero spam unlike my main account which I reserve for trusted contacts!). It's everyones choice as to how much if any of their personal information they offer up. Likewise, there's no need to write comments etc, indeed it's possible to keep a very low profile if that's what you want.

Yes, I didn't me to come across ageist, maybe new blood is a better phrase than younger generation. We have in house issues at the moment, and hopefully by bringing new blood into the association it might save it. I never meant to offend.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.666987,-3.017397

Yes, I didn't me to come across ageist, maybe new blood is a better phrase than younger generation. We have in house issues at the moment, and hopefully by bringing new blood into the association it might save it. I never meant to offend.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.666987,-3.017397

no offence taken (by me at any rate), being a young 'ne myself! it was just an observation which I believe is backed up by the wide range of companies and 'interesting' individuals that feel it's worth their time to have a presence there.

Of course, if fb does crash and burn at some point in the future who cares? in the meantime so long as it dosen't do me any harm i will continue to make use of it while the opportunity exists.

Yeah that's the same for me, at the moment it's a free way of promoting my photography career, but if it eventually goes, I should have built up enough contacts to keep me going.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.666947,-3.017317

Can you answer why BBKA and not WBKA then?

Hi Veg, it's probably an historic reason fro 1918 when we were the Monmouthshire BKA.

Have asked an higher authority will let you know!

Russ

Interestingly, there are two websites. The one linked on the facebook page and the one Russ is talking about.

What I can't work out is why GBKA is affiliated to BBKA and not the Welsh Association. Last time I looked Gwent was in Wales.....

Mrs S, is correct, we now have 2 face ache book pages and 2 web sites they're both pants too, soon to be corrected I hope?

Probably historic 1918 Monmouthshire BKA

Where about in the Vallies are you?

Russ

Facebook Fan

No huge Facebook fan myself, but it is proven to be a very effective marketing source, especially towards the younger generation. It has a wider penetration than Myspace and other predecessors ever had and as such will have a longer shelf life.

Met a guy yesterday who doesn't 'do' computers - hates them with a vengeance in fact. What do you think of that?

Facebook is hugely successful - love it or hate it, it's a great medium for contacting members, advertising events etc. So to ignore could be seen as being somewhat short-sighted. As to the scare stories, email transmits viruses and trojans and is used by scammers but I bet everyone reading this uses it.

I loved the story of the chap who was upset at being poked by a stranger - careful adjustment of your privacy settings would have prevented that - I only get poked by friends! After all, you wouldn't put your email address on a card and stick it up in a phone box, would you? :)

Try it for more than 5 seconds - you might be pleasantly surprised.

R2

Where to start? - I accept that millions of people use Facebook (my wife and daughter amongst them, so I do know how it works), but I'm not one of them, and I think that the potential security and "spam" considerations outweigh any potential "benefits" - and I do differ that "it's a great medium for contacting members, advertising events" - because it (by definition) only reaches those who fall for the "sign up before you can read it" blackmail - I'm not alone in resenting this form of coercion, so if you really want to reach everyone, you don't use "Berkbook".... Sometime the owners will probably sell your details to the highest bidder so they can spam you...
Facebook isn't the only one who uses these tactics - Yahoo (and similar companies) are a total pain, and have a history of liasing with spammers - I'm forever getting requests from people to join them on "Linkedin" - you go to the site to tell them to sod off, and you have to "join" before you can do so..........
Flickr is part of the Yahoo empire, and you can scarcely move on the 'net before their admonishment to "join" their pernicious organisation surfaces.
Whilst I'm having a grumble about big internet companies, even Google should be treated with care - they're "curate's egg" - their search engine is by far the best, but they do hold an inordinate amount of information on all of us, and I don't believe that they display the necessary straightforwardness desired (their arrogant "streetcam" mapping shows they have nil regard for privacy or potential criminal usage) - I don't like any organisation holding the amount of private information that they do, it has enormous potential for doing harm - not least handing those details over to a less than benevolent future (or present!) government...

If anyone remembers Hill Street Blues - "be careful out there"

It's perfectly possible to use Facebook without any major security concerns as long as you set your security settings properly. You have a chioce about what information you choose to give Facebook or to share with your Facebook "friends". There's not really any difference between that and using an internet forum or buying stuff online or using e-mail. All are potentially vulnerable. That's life.
I've been on Facebook for years and have no more spam problems than anyone else I know who isn't on Facebook (infact, they tend to be the ones who are always falling foul of some virus or other).
Most of my Facebook "friends" are family members, and without Facebook I would not have anywhere near as much communication with them, or know what they are up to or see their photos.
I also have a business facebook page (have never had a single spam e-mail to my business account!) which is great for generating free advertising.
I also administer a facebook page for a local BKA which is a great way of promoting their future events.
To cut a long story short - everyone I know on facebook has no undue problems with security or spam - it's those not on facebook that seem to have this opinion of it.

Many of the problems of high volumes of spam are caused by the users themselves. Never reply to spam, it's a surefire way of getting your name on so many other spam distribution lists, at an exponential rate.

Many of the problems of high volumes of spam are caused by the users themselves. Never reply to spam, it's a surefire way of getting your name on so many other spam distribution lists, at an exponential rate.

Exactly. I don't see e-mail spam as a big problem. Just set your junk mail filter and forget about it:)
Although I am getting a little paranoid about why they think I need those "enlargement" pills:eek:

I think that two points are being missed by the Facebook fans, firstly it's more about the likelihood of Facebook selling your details to the highest bidder at some point, rather than your spam box filling overnight, and the fact there's a great many people who really don't want to have anything to do with it, hence you are removing a large chunk of people who will be able to use the facility (unlike if one of the true "independents" like "Weeebly" had been used)
As I said, I won't join, and resent the coercion to do so - on Sunday I'm taking some photos at a family christening, and I'll make them available online for all the family to access with no discrimination at all, and certainly no insistence they join Facebook or any other similar organisation.......

I would add that I happily use most internet facilities and am quite used to doing a lot of financial transactions online, that system I trust - Facebook I don't!

Latest posts

Back