Northern newbee :)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hello from the eastern shore of Prince Edward Island (PEI) in Atlantic Canada. I'm fairly new to beekeeping (and entirely new to this forum). My interest in bee-keeping started when I apprenticed informally with my ex-father-in-law who had a small apiary (5-12 hives, depending on the year). I got my own hive in 2021 and, although it seemed strong going into the winter, I lost it. Almost gave up right there and then, but talked to a few other beeks who said the survival rate on PEI that winter was only about 50%, so I lost the coin-flip. That'll teach me to have only one hive! I got back on the horse this year with two hives (all I could afford at the moment) and put them into the winter seeming healthy and strong (wish me luck this time!).

I'm particularly interested in hearing from other beeks in northern climates, on windy shores (we have zero protection from south winds which come right off the sea, but I do have a little grove of trees on the north side of the hives and I've set up a small windbreak to the east, south, and west). Also, anyone who is using small cells or foundationless.

Also, if any of you are visiting Prince Edward Island, do drop in! :)

Hello from the eastern shore of Prince Edward Island (PEI) in Atlantic Canada. I'm fairly new to beekeeping (and entirely new to this forum). My interest in bee-keeping started when I apprenticed informally with my ex-father-in-law who had a small apiary (5-12 hives, depending on the year). I got my own hive in 2021 and, although it seemed strong going into the winter, I lost it. Almost gave up right there and then, but talked to a few other beeks who said the survival rate on PEI that winter was only about 50%, so I lost the coin-flip. That'll teach me to have only one hive! I got back on the horse this year with two hives (all I could afford at the moment) and put them into the winter seeming healthy and strong (wish me luck this time!).

I'm particularly interested in hearing from other beeks in northern climates, on windy shores (we have zero protection from south winds which come right off the sea, but I do have a little grove of trees on the north side of the hives and I've set up a small windbreak to the east, south, and west). Also, anyone who is using small cells or foundationless.

Good luck👍
I have one colony on foundationless frames - a swarm moved into a brood box that I used as a baiter. I was confident I had put frames with foundation in it, but was wrong - just frames. Fortunately the bees drew out their comb from the top bars and the only bit of creativity was they joined two outside frames together. They’re doing well thus far.

I was up at PEI back in 2007 during September and it wasn’t the most hospitable place weather wise then so hate to think what it’s like in the depth of winter!!!
Good luck.

I visited PEI back along during the winter. Still a lovely place tho. I remember the houses having a ring of thick fir trees around the garden as wind breaks. Or you could use one those little cabins they put on the frozen inlets when they fish through the ice. Hope you make a go of it as the Summers look very nice.

Hello to a fellow Canadian, I am smack dab in the middle of Sask. I loved PEI, you live in a wonderful place.

Hi and welcome. My beekeeping is also a challenge as I live on an exposed Scottish peninsular. For me its the fairly constant westerly winds and rain straight off the Atlantic that cause issues. Sometimes all the way from Newfoundland and Labrador. Some sort of windbreak is pretty much essential although I do use poly hives which are strapped to a ground anchor. I have a couple of homemade long hives that are wooden but they have 80mm of kingspan insulation so very toasty.
Enjoy your beekeeping journey.

Latest posts

Back