Exceptional Swarm season

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Above average swarms around in East Sussex. The swarm phone has been getting several calls a day since early April, now running out of new homes for them.
Too many beekeepers are not managing their hives properly although quite a few swarms have been from colonies in roofs. The callers are saying "they swarm from that roof every year" No ones bothered until they go into their chimney or airbrick

My colonies all came through the winter very much stronger than usual. It's meant that the supers are filling up quickly, but also that there's overcrowding in the brood boxes.

Not a member of this esteemed organisation, so why would they affect swarming?
S

Their colonies are still recovering from shook swarms

I still have 60 + frames and foundation spare it is the shallow supers i am getting short of..

Definitely need an extra super per hive for next year.

Swarms

I’ve had 11 calls in two weeks here in West Cornwall. Three calls in one day last week. Had some interesting ones amongst these whereby they needed smoking out. The first had moved into the cavity behind a cast iron trough that had been built around with stone. When the swarm became airborne, they decided to land on my back/shoulders. The heat they gave off was amazing. I carefully moved them off but they came back once more!

The other was down a redundant chimney. The home owner wanted me get them out so allowed me to drill a 18mm hole into the concrete block chimney wall. This enabled me to put a corresponding pipe from the room into the chimney which was inserted into my smoker and taped up. Then about 25 minutes of puffing on my smoker until they decided on having some fresh air!

Just hope I have some more straight forward ones this week.

Back