Exceptional Swarm season

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpearce4

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
a few more than last year but still not enough
Have others been finding that this swarm season is crazy. Both in swarm calls and hives trying to swarm?
I'm getting an average of 2 calls per day and most are big.

My club hived 7 swarms last year- very low- swarms very flighty settling then
making off from skeps ect

This year have hived 44 so far.....

Have others been finding that this swarm season is crazy. Both in swarm calls and hives trying to swarm?
I'm getting an average of 2 calls per day and most are big.

Yes.
One apiary of 10 hives that had a mix of 2018 BS Buckfasts, 2018 home raised Buckfast mother queens, 2017 Denrosa Italian reared Buckfasts and 2018 Jolanta Italian raised queens now has an additional 7 nucs to accommodate swarming.
Spring nectar flow has been great but a lot of it is in brood free brood chambers:hairpull:
A nice problem to have though.

None have tried a bid for freedom - YET.

Because of the BBKA ………. None!!!!

Nothing unusual here in the north. Maybe down south?
I had one swarm on me this year. Was during ~10 days of colder weather 3-4 weeks ago, which meant I couldn’t inspect during that time. First nice day, they were out.
I’m running single brood, which is another slightly higher risk.

Had 2 reports on the radio this week so it’s either an exceptional year for swarming or very slow week for Cornwall! I’d bet on the latter

Had a few 2 and 3 year old queens looking to swarm but not lost any so far this year.
Picked up a swarm today that really didn’t have clue of their size!
S

Attachments

• IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 65
Nine swarms so far since Easter Sunday four in bait hives and five in trees / bushes

Went mad round here last week!

I'd split the colony on the flat roof ready to move to Cricket field;
split it into 3, 2 Q- nucs + original Box. Wasn't 100% sure if HM was in one of the nucs as only had quick mooch for her when taking out the frames.

There was a lot of scout interest in an empty WBC stack (5X lifts with roof, no boxes or frames) on Sunday. So, when I got home & S.H.M.B.O. said next door had a swarm in one of their trees I thought they'd chosen the tree over the WBC outers.

WRONG, Swarm in the WBC + Good sized one in the tree too.
Went to get an empty nuc from the allotment & found a colony in the nuc +another in the 14X12 box underneath it. Had to assemble a nuc from flat stock in the shed for the tree swarm then collect an empty from the Cricket pitch.

Arrived home Wednesday to another swarm moved into the empty box (left ontop of the Green bin) by the front door! :ohthedrama:

Called to see what stock was like at the local hive manufacturer and he's out of National nucs, having been called to an average of 5 swarms per day!!!:hairpull:

I'm out of built deep frames & low on foundation!!!:bump:

New Queens due to arrive on Wednesday, Nasty hive to tackle today. :hairpull: :hairpull: :hairpull:

Thank god it's the holiday:calmdown:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back