Examining a Flow Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see somebody on FB is trying to organise the NBU to train on one.
I thought it was a simple Langstroth and the flows are for extraction? What's to train? Perhaps they mean to get weight-lifting to get to the brood box. Not a snide remark....don't get me wrong. I reckon a full flow super would be a heck of a weight.

That would be when the whole contraption is full of crystalised honey... can the frames be centrifuged...put in the api melter.... how does the flow go when the honey just don't flow???

I am so looking forward to this Summer!!

Yeghes da

That would be when the whole contraption is full of crystalised honey... can the frames be centrifuged...put in the api melter.... how does the flow go when the honey just don't flow???

I am so looking forward to this Summer!!

Yeghes da

You are so negative...I bet your little black bees would love a Flow hive....just think....honey at the turn of a key...it could be yours!
You do know that the beekeepers already using them are having easy harvesting don't you? I don't think it will be so easy for us here in the UK I but it will be interesting to find out. A lot of the questions about the Flow are because so many of the purchasers are new beekeepers...and new beekeepers ask questions...lots of questions.
Crystallised honey is a problem...no matter whether it is in a Flow frame or in a wax comb...still has to be dealt with. Timely extraction is the key....
Anyway....if we get a good flow of nectar here I will try it out...then I will know whether it will be a good tool or not.

Great description. I also enjoy your level and considered responses. The offset half-combs aren't like that to cut the capping though (according to Cedar anyway), they are to prevent leg trapping when the comb is re-positioned back for re-filling.

As you say, it will be an interesting Spring.

Thanks for the explanation....I know a number of people have been asking about the offset combs.
I have enjoyed all the pictures and videos of beekeepers doing extractions...very encouraging.
My hive is all set to go...well except for the insulation...still considering how I will do that.

I see somebody on FB is trying to organise the NBU to train on one.
I thought it was a simple Langstroth and the flows are for extraction? What's to train? Perhaps they mean to get weight-lifting to get to the brood box. Not a snide remark....don't get me wrong. I reckon a full flow super would be a heck of a weight.

Isn't the full hive only 8 frames? If so it's smaller than a standard langstroth.

The inspectorate is only interested in looking at brood there should be no need for any special training to lift a box of shallow frames.

Isn't the full hive only 8 frames? If so it's smaller than a standard langstroth.

The inspectorate is only interested in looking at brood there should be no need for any special training to lift a box of shallow frames.

The Flow frame box is the same size as the brood box...a deep.
From what I hear the person pushing this has said it is for demonstration...I don't know anything about training!
I can't see the point really as there are so many videos of the Flow...and it is pretty much as seen in them. Until it is used in the UK...there is not much more to add.

Exactly.
The weight training was a joke.
Mind you an eight frame deep of honey would be a weight for me!

Tremyfro....I'm keeping my eye on you. If the flow works it might be the answer for aged lady beekeepers unable to lift anything in their dotage

Exactly.
The weight training was a joke.
Mind you an eight frame deep of honey would be a weight for me!

Tremyfro....I'm keeping my eye on you. If the flow works it might be the answer for aged lady beekeepers unable to lift anything in their dotage

Oh ...you did make me laugh!
I have no idea how I will lift the Flow super off the brood.....I am sure it will be heavy...if it gets filled....and that is a big if.....I just hope we do get a nectar flow...it was abysmal last year. If the Bee Inspector wants to inspect...they had better time it for when the frames have been drained...ha ha....at least I know I can lift it when empty.

The langstroth box used is an 8 frame box. 6 Flow frames fit in this as they are wider than a normal frame as the cells are a lot deeper. The weight would be about the same as a full 8 frames...I would think...not that I could lift it anyway!

Oh.. the expert from.....

View attachment 12783

Roll on Summer.... will I be joining Finman on the Naughty step?

Yeghes da

Ha ha ...have your fun....Finman has joined the Flow Forum I think...he is slightly disguised but I recognise his way with words and the information he gives. You are falling by the wayside and will have to fly fast to catch up with the cuckoos....hmmm....what do cuckoos do...oh yes they put their egg in someone else's nest and leave them to bring up their chick....easy peasy ...a bit like the Flow....he he.....

Ha ha ...have your fun....Finman has joined the Flow Forum I think...he is slightly disguised but I recognise his way with words and the information he gives. You are falling by the wayside and will have to fly fast to catch up with the cuckoos....hmmm....what do cuckoos do...oh yes they put their egg in someone else's nest and leave them to bring up their chick....easy peasy ...a bit like the Flow....he he.....

Utter plagiarism... but plenty of Honey has hit the nail squarely on the head!

Time will tell!

billionair beekeeper.jpg

:ohthedrama:

Yeghes da

Oh.. the expert from.....

View attachment 12783

Roll on Summer.... will I be joining Finman on the Naughty step?

Yeghes da
Most of the bullies i have worked with are cowards and obviously bullied themselves as a child, if Trem wants to give a flow hive a go then so be it, what possible harm can it do to you or anyone else.

We will have to have a whip round for you Icanhopit...then you could join the 'haves'...instead of languishing in the 'have nots' ...then we will be able to benefit from your wise assessment..it would be good to have a proper beekeeper do the assessment rather than all us newbies....if your little black bees managed to fill a frame or two.

For all the derogotories out there in wonderful Flow's hive land... I am going to supply a nice overwintered nuc of wonderful line bred New Zealand Italian bees to a chap in Torrington.. has a wonderful sunny South facing site where the Flow's hive should do well with the NZI.. if it does anything!

I will let the beekeeping experts do it before making any kind of decision!

Yeghes da

That's what they say isn't it? The only way to make a small fortune from beekeeping is to start with a large one. No hope for me then.

Back