Equipment sales

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't look that way. They claim 100g/litre whereas the Abelo appear to be 160g/litre. That's quite a big difference.

James
That’s what I thought when you see them bulkiy like that it’s normally a give away. Years ago you couldn’t get BS poly nuc but you could convert a swienty lang poly and get them at the spring convention….park beekeeping made some out of big poly sheets, you can imagine what I said as some walked off with them😂

Last edited:
I couldn’t see any nucs either, is the poly as dense as others those boxes look a little chunky and that gets me wondering.
They seem v dense, solid and well made. I will be putting most of my bees into these so will need to wait till after next winter to find out how they perform.

They will fit 12 frames.

Attachments

• 37E92875-3BF7-4369-B3E3-0744ABD21D05.jpeg
    37E92875-3BF7-4369-B3E3-0744ABD21D05.jpeg
    363.6 KB · Views: 2
  • BFCA7B2D-D4B8-45A0-8D5C-DFB63608C0E8.jpeg
    BFCA7B2D-D4B8-45A0-8D5C-DFB63608C0E8.jpeg
    339.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
They seem v dense, solid and well made. I will be putting most of my bees into these so will need to wait till after next winter to find out how they perform.

They will fit 12 frames.
IIRC, Derek Mitchell did a thermal test on the various poly offerings and this one beat the rest.

Yes, jar spec. varies and honey fills variably, and they don't look right (for sale) if the level is below the neck. It doesn't have to fill the neck, just get up into it.

I use hex from F&H and fill a 340 jar with 340g of honey, a 227 with 235g and a 113 with 135g. Any less honey and it won't get into the neck.
I tend to give them an extra 5gr, filling up the hex up to the nec is an extra 18gr if I recall. Based on this year's crop that would be 52 jars less which is quite a lot. Nobody has complained so far so will stick to below the neck

52 jars less which is quite a lot. Nobody has complained so far so will stick to below the neck
Yes, definitely stay at the lower end of the neck or it gets expensive in the long run. I go 2g over the label weight, don't worry about 3, but 4 is too much.

They claim 100g/litre whereas the Abelo appear to be 160g/litre. That's quite a big difference.
Yes, there's a trade-off between thermal efficiency and sturdiness.

100g/l has good thermal efficiency but is a little soft. I recall that Angry Mob reported that the Park 5-frame at 100g/l overwintered bees best. At 160g/l Abelo traded some thermal efficiency in favour of solidity.

Denrosa Apiaries produced poly kit years ago before it was common in the UK, and Murray McGregor reckoned that there was a sweet spot at about 120g/l between the two factors.

Last edited:
Back