Equipment carrier

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've been beekeeping for just over a year and have been carrying all my stuff around in a large washing up bowl. I'd like to be a little bit more organised and have been looking for something better to put my kit in when I go to do an inspection. I've looked at toolboxes and baskets but not found anything ideal. I thought the bee equipment manufacturers might sell an optimised carry system but can't find anything suitable. Any recommendations?

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm probably going to go with one of the suggestions - I like either of the Stanley open totes. I'm just really surprised that one of the equipment manufacturers doesn't supply something tailored to beekeepers - somewhere to put your hot smoker, a zip up compartment for the fiddly things like queen catchers, marker pens, snips etc.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm probably going to go with one of the suggestions - I like either of the Stanley open totes. I'm just really surprised that one of the equipment manufacturers doesn't supply something tailored to beekeepers - somewhere to put your hot smoker, a zip up compartment for the fiddly things like queen catchers, marker pens, snips etc.

They do..;)

https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42286

I use a large plastic tool box with a lid. My first one had no lid and I was forever kicking it over and trying to find all the bits in the long grass. Carries everything I could ever need. Even a motor cycle battery and vaper.
E

I thought the bee equipment manufacturers might sell an optimised carry system but can't find anything suitable. Any recommendations?

There isn't anything totally specific, But I use one of these smoker boxes filled with my smoker, a couple of hive tools, brushes, lighter, clipboard with pen attached by string and a few other bits and bobs like pot with drawing pins in. Stuff that is used infrequently, like queen marking pens, crown of thorns, wing clipping scissors, duct tape, cocktail sticks, even more queen cages and other miscellany are kept in a lidls cheap multi compartment box that lives in the truck.
Beauty of the smoker box is you can just shut the smoker up in the box and it stops your car filling up with smoke. On a good day I can drive between 2 sites and it's still smoldering and no need to relight.
Smoker-Box-strona.jpg

Last edited:
I have one similar to this, heavy duty tool tray from B&M home store. By chance I has a handy slot on the edge that fits the hanging hook of my smoker. It works a dream.

An Ammo Box from fleabay. Make sure your smoker will fit. Standard smokers don’t fit in the smaller ones.

A plastic tool box.

A lidded plastic box with swarm kit in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The problem I think with the Screwfix suggestion is that the inside is made of black fabric, making small items easy to lose in the murk.

I'd go for something lighter in colour to help find scissors, magnifying glasses, etc. that might otherwise get lost in the depths of a dark container.

CVB

Make your own, we all have loads of different bits of kit and ideas on what you should have. Its not too hard to make a box with compartments for all your bits and bobs and a safe place for the smoker. An old car seatbelt makes a great carrying strap leaving hands free for supers.

Cheers, Mick.

Latest posts

Back