Enforced break coming up

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilberdyke John

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I've spent an hour at hospital this afternoon being assessed for prostate removal surgery next week. I'm told I should expect two months without any lifting then slowly progressing back to normality.
I'm hoping the hives will be OK for a couple of months but I have been mentoring a beginner for the last season and between her and my son to keep an eye on the hives things should stay on an even keel. I'm glad I aren't having the op later in the year.
I just hope the bees cooperate :)

Hope all goes well for you John and thank you for your help.

I hope your op goes well.

Had this done 3yrs ago - went walking in the Lakes within 6 weeks. For the 1st month I took it easy then back to normal.

If you have any questions feel free to ask (pm me)

Best of luck next week.

Dave

Hope it all goes well��

Hope all goes well.

Good luck with the op. And don't go back to the bees too soon, get properly right. Supervise with an iron tongue! :)

Hope all goes well. My thoughts are with you as a fellow bee keeper and denizen of this forum!
Both my parents are on "enforced" light duties at the mo. My father had a stroke on 17th Jan but has made a fantastic recovery and my mother is having major surgery on 13th Feb to replace the wear surfaces of an artificial hip - it lasted 25 years before needing attention. The struggle for now is trying to keep them both from doing too much...... they both have their own definitions of "too much".....

Hope all goes well. My thoughts are with you as a fellow bee keeper and denizen of this forum!
Both my parents are on "enforced" light duties at the mo. My father had a stroke on 17th Jan but has made a fantastic recovery and my mother is having major surgery on 13th Feb to replace the wear surfaces of an artificial hip - it lasted 25 years before needing attention. The struggle for now is trying to keep them both from doing too much...... they both have their own definitions of "too much".....

Hmmm, yes - my mother decided to slow down a bit last year and has given up digging the vegetable garden and has restricted herself to the flower borders,planters, soft fruit and greenhouse - bit of a lightweight really at seventy three - my grandfather slowed down a little and only did half the garden when he had his stroke at eighty two and finally packed it all in (apart from the borders.......etc.etc. a few years later!!) he had his first prostate op when he was in his early fifties and had it completely removed when he was seventy two.

Last edited:
All the very best wishes for a speedy recovery. I guess the hardest bit will be having to watch everyone going on as normal whilst you have to rest! Be sure to follow doctors orders.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, but as others have said - make sure you are right before any bee heroics!

It sounds as if you will be able to supervise your assistants by the time the bees are properly up and about. And even if you can't get to them hives in person, what's the worst that can happen? Just make sure you are properly fit first. Bee good to yourself.:chillpill:

I'm quite humbled by all the good wishes and the camaderie of the forum. Thank you everybody.
I look forward to being able to get back on line and I will take care to avoid causing recovery problems by restarting too early.
Thanks again.

Good look get well soon,I've been in since last Thursday for breathing problems spoke to doctors this morning and they are not sure what's wrong with me.BUt at least. I hope I'm ok for start of bee season, Don't rush things good luckx

Latest posts

Back