Drone Frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elaine

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
On my last few inspections I have noticed that there seem to be "drone collecting areas" within the hives. So far the common factor has been a partially filled stores frame, which by the nature of it is towards the outer edge of the box. Almost only drone bees - and not many drones on the other frames. Maybe I just haven't noticed them before - has anyone else seen this?

Are the girls just coralling them somewhere out of the way, so they can get on with the housework? :)

Yes, I see the odd outside frame with nothing but drones on it and not a single drone on other frames in the box.
First time I picked up a frame like that I thought, "Blimey, what a lot of drones!" but then spotted no others in the hive.

If you arrange a zone or gap, where hive can make dronecombs, it helps. Otherwise bees rear drones however somewhere.

Drones are usually kept to restricted areas (outer combs and the floorboard) prior to chucking them out in the next few weeks. Shows the honeyflow is coming to an end and colonies are "thinking" about winter preps

Latest posts

Back