Drone chalkbrood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, not a massive problem I grant you, but having been plagued by huge amounts of chalkbrood in my first few years, I've slowly bought and bred from stock that remain asymptomatic- however, even those this year show some chalkbrood, though only in drone comb - thinking back, this seems to be something of a trend - does anyone know why it's so virulent in drone brood even when there's not a single cell of it in the workers? Can't just be hygienic behaviour as brood pattern is perfect in said hives so eggs all of same age. Thanks everyone.

Hi, not a massive problem I grant you, but having been plagued by huge amounts of chalkbrood in my first few years, I've slowly bought and bred from stock that remain asymptomatic- however, even those this year show some chalkbrood, though only in drone comb - thinking back, this seems to be something of a trend - does anyone know why it's so virulent in drone brood even when there's not a single cell of it in the workers? Can't just be hygienic behaviour as brood pattern is perfect in said hives so eggs all of same age. Thanks everyone.
I wonder if it develops in drone brood because they take longer to emerge.

Chalkbrood persists due to faulty genetics. Period. No amount of sunshine or ventilation, or any other manipulation will rid of a colony of their chalkbrood...permanently. Now, the frozen brood assay is the answer. You identify the colonies that are the most hygienic...something over 95% for removing freeze killed brood within 24 hours. If you would do that, or purchase your queens from a breeder who does, your chalk will be gone.
May 15 was my 50th year in the bees. I've learned so much during all that time. Believe me when I tell you the cure for chalkbrood is so simple. If your queen breeder refuses to use the freeze brood assay, move on.

Chalkbrood persists due to faulty genetics. Period. No amount of sunshine or ventilation, or any other manipulation will rid of a colony of their chalkbrood...permanently. Now, the frozen brood assay is the answer. You identify the colonies that are the most hygienic...something over 95% for removing freeze killed brood within 24 hours. If you would do that, or purchase your queens from a breeder who does, your chalk will be gone.
May 15 was my 50th year in the bees. I've learned so much during all that time. Believe me when I tell you the cure for chalkbrood is so simple. If your queen breeder refuses to use the freeze brood assay, move on.
Bloody hell, THE Mike Palmer of St Albans, Vermont!? What an honour! Huge fan via YouTube and Steve Donohoe's book Interviews with Beekeepers. Not sure I've that great a control over the genetics of my bought queen's tbh, I'm v much a sideliner running only 70 hives currently but my job got given away whilst I was undergoing ECT so I figured I'm not brilliant at beekeeping but I'm alright and I love all parts of working with them and enjoy hard work outdoors so planning on scaling up. The drone brood isn't in the periphery in my hives as I choose my most hygienic and well-tempered colonies and give them drone foundation to draw, or starter strips from which they'll preferentially make drone comb in spring. My worst two third colonies get their drone brood destroyed and checked for vartoa levels, though the local beekeeper association has a retired geneticist who says we shouldn't end any breeding lines as each potentially has desirable attributes - but I'm afraid my comprehension of genetics ends at the haploid and diploid drone stage - beyond that I'm not bright enough to grasp the meaning. Chalkbrood is just bloody annoying, I try to keep my breeder colonies expecially as stress free as possible- good position, excellent poly hives, plentiful and varietally rich nectar and pollen and I handle them as gently as I can and wash my gloves and hive tool between hives in soda and bleach, different hive tool for each apiary. If anyone knows if any UK bred or available for UK chalkbrood resistant strains I'd be very interested- happy with my bees on the whole otherwise, cheers, Ror

As Michael says the simple solution is a Queen that’s not susceptible to Chalk brood. Any spores persisting are an irrelevance.
I fear that the original chalkbrood that was endemic has built up in equipment and hives and robbing, undesirable rogue drones and all the sundry uncontrollable ways, to the point that 'clean' queens I buy in or breed for, become susceptible within a year - even if only in drone brood as per my original post - seems odd that they're less hygienic with drone brood

Bloody hell, THE Mike Palmer of St Albans, Vermont!? What an honour! Huge fan via YouTube and Steve Donohoe's book Interviews with Beekeepers. Not sure I've that great a control over the genetics of my bought queen's tbh, I'm v much a sideliner running only 70 hives currently but my job got given away whilst I was undergoing ECT so I figured I'm not brilliant at beekeeping but I'm alright and I love all parts of working with them and enjoy hard work outdoors so planning on scaling up. The drone brood isn't in the periphery in my hives as I choose my most hygienic and well-tempered colonies and give them drone foundation to draw, or starter strips from which they'll preferentially make drone comb in spring. My worst two third colonies get their drone brood destroyed and checked for vartoa levels, though the local beekeeper association has a retired geneticist who says we shouldn't end any breeding lines as each potentially has desirable attributes - but I'm afraid my comprehension of genetics ends at the haploid and diploid drone stage - beyond that I'm not bright enough to grasp the meaning. Chalkbrood is just bloody annoying, I try to keep my breeder colonies expecially as stress free as possible- good position, excellent poly hives, plentiful and varietally rich nectar and pollen and I handle them as gently as I can and wash my gloves and hive tool between hives in soda and bleach, different hive tool for each apiary. If anyone knows if any UK bred or available for UK chalkbrood resistant strains I'd be very interested- happy with my bees on the whole otherwise, cheers, Ror
Your handling will not cause chalkbrood pick any queen from the main suppliers advertising above and you shouldn’t get chalkbrood!

But you don’t just want a colony that removes them. You want a colony that doesn’t suffer from it at all.
It's obviously always going to be present, but I'm aiming for it at asymptomatic levels, so the pathogen load never crosses the threshold that it becomes manifest visually

Your handling will not cause chalkbrood pick any queen from the main suppliers advertising above and you shouldn’t get chalkbrood!
My handling certainly COULD contribute to the build up as I understand it, no? I've bought queen's before and they've been hit and miss - am thinking I'd try some Jolanta queens from Denrosa this year as heather is my main crop and I know it's Murray's too

Latest posts

Back