Does honey expand?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I realise that, and do similar.
I was wondering if feeding a substantial amount of fermenting honey is problematic - if not it would be a method to recycle it.
I recall that advice was not to let liquid feed ferment as it can lead to dysentry so imagine a large amount of fermented honey might lead to the same. Heating honey to 80C as someone else asked would increase HMF in the honey.

Yes but it gets rid of the alcohol and you can sell it as Bakers Honey. Doesn't @ericbeaumont get good money for his?
It's a fallacy that heating it like that, or in cooking "drives off the alcohol".
Even during distillation with a boiling solution of alcohol in water the resultant vapour only has a moderately raised proportion of alcohol vapour rather than water vapour compared to the solution.
It does however kill the yeasts and so halt fermentation.

It's a fallacy that heating it like that, or in cooking "drives off the alcohol".
Even during distillation with a boiling solution of alcohol in water the resultant vapour only has a moderately raised proportion of alcohol vapour rather than water vapour compared to the solution.
It does however kill the yeasts and so halt fermentation.
Ah....I didn't know that so Finman's suggestion is the best.

Yes but it gets rid of the alcohol and you can sell it as Bakers Honey. Doesn't @ericbeaumont get good money for his?
Yes, 22/kg, but not the runny stinking foulness found in an old bucket.

Anything over 19% is liable to ferment, and although the law states that 20% is the boundary (23% for ling heather) I don't want a customer returning after a couple of months and complaining; happened a few years ago, and no big deal, but not ideal.

To that 19+ I add the scrapings of buckets left over from recent bottling, stir and leave to bubble. Sometimes it does so minimally, but it doesn't matter, as I get asked for it at every market, and buyers use it normally, not for cooking.

The principle asset of this borderline Bakers' is the extra flavour, which is why it always sells out.

Yes, 22/kg, but not the runny stinking foulness found in an old bucket.

Anything over 19% is liable to ferment, and although the law states that 20% is the boundary (23% for ling heather) I don't want a customer returning after a couple of months and complaining; happened a few years ago, and no big deal, but not ideal.

To that 19+ I add the scrapings of buckets left over from recent bottling, stir and leave to bubble. Sometimes it does so minimally, but it doesn't matter, as I get asked for it at every market, and buyers use it normally, not for cooking.

The principle asset of this borderline Bakers' is the extra flavour, which is why it always sells out.

fermented honey is awfull. If you sell such stuff, the customer surely go to police station.

Sells out. I have never seen someone selling fermented honey.

Latest posts

Back