DIY vapouriser photos

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did anyone ever find a solution to using a vapouriser with a poly hive, i.e. without melting it or setting it on fire?

I managed to melt nothing...

That chap seems to have vacated this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm - it worked - once - then this happened

4pbEGbJ.jpg

Hmmm - it worked - once - then this happened

4pbEGbJ.jpg

This situation is what's known as "sub optimal ", it happens with Heath Robinson type apparatus, I've lost count of the various repairs and versions I've worked through as the last one fails, usually miles away from home and half way through an apiary. Once the next ones built my current one which works (at the moment!)will be kept in the truck as back up.
I think with the tried and tested varrox going for around a ton now this would seem a sensible option for most.

I checked the plug - turns out it's rated at 4.4v. I'd assumed they were all 12v. You live and learn.

This situation is what's known as "sub optimal ", it happens with Heath Robinson type apparatus,

I resemble that. My Heath Robinson devices are over engineered## so they just last and last...

##"engineered" may be an exaggeration..:paparazzi:

I checked the plug - turns out it's rated at 4.4v. I'd assumed they were all 12v. You live and learn.

learning is all part of the course
yes dependent on the vehicle application they are not all 12v
also glow plugs are not meant for long term heating as in the engine they might be on for only 30 seconds up to say a couple of minute's
to help stop burn out make sure the heating tip is in contact with something

learning is all part of the course
yes dependent on the vehicle application they are not all 12v
also glow plugs are not meant for long term heating as in the engine they might be on for only 30 seconds up to say a couple of minute's
to help stop burn out make sure the heating tip is in contact with something

They are heated all the time in an engine...

They are heated all the time in an engine...
Not sure what you mean by heated all the time in an engine, they are only heated when the ignition is switched on and engine temperature is below a specific temperature, modern diesel engines use a lower voltage plug so they warm up quickly for a short period

Would T's new offering (at a third of the price) have any drawbacks over the Varrox ?

I've been reading up with the intention of swapping to sublimation this autumn/winter. Obviously shape of pan and length of lead are different, but anyone see any reason not to get one ?

If I hadn't built one myself that's what I would buy - looks fine for the job. I don't understand how they justify the price of the Varrox.

I must get a photo of mine - Redwood kindly gave me a lump of aluminium - it was just the mishap with the low voltage glow plug that delayed things. (When I was next in my usual motor factors they swapped it free of charge - they guy remembered me asking for a 12v one.)

Would T's new offering (at a third of the price) have any drawbacks over the Varrox ?

Well made but definitely flimsier and more lightweight. OK for occasional use on a few hives I suppose. At the price it's a good entry level hobbyist bit of kit.

If I hadn't built one myself that's what I would buy - looks fine for the job. I don't understand how they justify the price of the Varrox.

put them both side by side and you'll see - as I said, nothing wrong with the Thorne's item but there's a world of difference in robustness and material quality.
Talking of Redwood's workmanship, I noticed there was an Varrox equivalent on Donegal bees' stand at the convention selling for £115.00 - almost identical to Redwood's but not quite as well made. Maybe he should claim a comission!

sorry for re opening an old thread but someone requested some photos

Attachments

• IMG_0038.jpg
    IMG_0038.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 27
Another two

Attachments

• IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0044.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg