DIY vapouriser photos

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taurus

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have been reading through the archives using the search function and want to try using one of these to make a OA vapouriser

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium...815221?hash=item419c19de35:g:r~IAAOxyJypTlfQs

I know folk on here have done it, the archived threads refer to photos of how you have put one together - the snag is that the archives don't keep the photos showing.

Any chance someone who has done this can post a photo of how you did it - just to save me reinventing the wheel.

Thanks

Paul

I have been reading through the archives using the search function and want to try using one of these to make a OA vapouriser

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium...815221?hash=item419c19de35:g:r~IAAOxyJypTlfQs

I know folk on here have done it, the archived threads refer to photos of how you have put one together - the snag is that the archives don't keep the photos showing.

Any chance someone who has done this can post a photo of how you did it - just to save me reinventing the wheel.

Thanks

Paul

PM Redwood - his home made vaporiser is the nuts unlike some of the Heath Robinson set ups I've seen bandied about

:thanks: I'll give that a try

The vaporiser I bought from Bienoxal in Germany via Ebay last autumn was an aluminium block with a machined recess for the crystals and a drilled/tapped hole for a diesel engine glow plug. A second hole is used for the long metal rod with a wooden chainsaw file type handle on the other end. Connections are made with heavy gauge copper cable and crimp connectors to the block, with crocodile clips on the other end.

Cut all copper bits from copper piping.
Buy glowplug from ebay.£2.75 HEATER GLOW PLUG CH154 TOYOTA 2.4D HIACE HILUX STARLET LAND CRUISER DYNA VW TARO
Wire up using old car battery jump leads.
Add handle.

Ensure height (see side view) is minimal to ensure vap goes through ntrance.

Attachments

• IMG_0131.JPG
    IMG_0131.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0132.JPG
    IMG_0132.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0133.JPG
    IMG_0133.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0134.JPG
    IMG_0134.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 38
Thanks to Redwood for the PM and the suggestions above. I've seen the glow plug method but wasn't sure if it kept the OA at the right temperature. Clearly experience on here suggests that it works fine so I think I'll go down that route.

Nice little project for a wet afternoon.

Don't believe the hype about temperature being so critical it's tripe.
Oxalic acid optimum sublimation temp 157 c so in an open pan it cannot get any hotter as it has become a gas and is no longer in the pan.
The pan will heat up from cold so it's impossible to reach decomposition temp in an open vessel.

The vaporiser I bought from Bienoxal in Germany via Ebay last autumn was an aluminium block with a machined recess for the crystals and a drilled/tapped hole for a diesel engine glow plug. A second hole is used for the long metal rod with a wooden chainsaw file type handle on the other end. Connections are made with heavy gauge copper cable and crimp connectors to the block, with crocodile clips on the other end.

I think they robbed Redwood of his design for his home made one .. I made mine to the same idea .. works a treat .. old pair of jump leads for the cabling and half an hour with a drill and a file ... cost.. under a tenner for the piece of aluminium block and the glow plug off ebay and a piece of threaded bar for the handle .. I have access to a Varrox and there is nothing to choose between them in terms of performance, the Varrox perhaps just a tad quicker to the point where the OA vapourises but it makes no difference when you are only treating a few hives ...

Now I remember where I chucked that lump of aluminium I'd had lying around for years.

:banghead:

Thanks

Paul

Here are a couple of photos of the vapouriser I made last year using the item similar to the Ebay link in your post. The "handle" is a piece of aluminium carpet threshold strip. Between it and the heating element is a small piece of insulation material (used by hobby jewelers when soldering items). Above the heating element is a copper dish that I fettled out of a flat sheet. The business end was stuck together with heat resistant glue and has worked well.

I've only used it once and it performed as expected - got up to vapourising temperature in about 90 seconds. One person could probably do a hive every 10 minutes, allowing for cooling down and "do nothing" periods after the Oxalic Acid crystals have disappeared. Don't forget that OA is pretty toxic stuff so you need to think about how you will protect yourself when using it.

CVB

Attachments

• DSCN2966.jpg
    DSCN2966.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN2967.jpg
    DSCN2967.jpg
    450.4 KB · Views: 52
Now I remember where I chucked that lump of aluminium I'd had lying around for years.

:banghead:

If you need a bit of aluminium PM me your address and I'll send you a bit, If you know the size and pitch of the thread on the glow plug I might have a tap and drill bits to fit that you can borrow.

20160105_124831.jpg

My effort with a ptc heater. I've but it in a clip box and blow the vapor in with a fan.

If you need a bit of aluminium PM me your address and I'll send you a bit, If you know the size and pitch of the thread on the glow plug I might have a tap and drill bits to fit that you can borrow.

Many thanks for the offer - I'll send you my address.

Thanks also for everyone's ideas - a very creative bunch. I'm sure I'll sort something out.

Thanks

Paul

Copper and glowplug

Attachments

• IMG_00000222.jpg
    IMG_00000222.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 76
Mr Redwood - if you read this I tried to send you a PM to say thank you for the aluminium which arrived today. Your inbox is full so it won't accept my message.

So thank you! :thanks:

I like to keep it that way lol, for some reason I keep on forgetting to empty it but all done now. Don't forget too post a picture when you have completed it.

Yes.....I did all mine last year
Vape under the OMF.
When I vaped the Paynes the year before through the entrance I did singe a few bottom bars. Luckily only on the nadired shallow. No damage to the hive itself

Latest posts

Back