DIY mini nuc option's

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have read on here that some experience high lose of Queens when running them as Quads . Is this not the case with you MP only asking as if I'm going to build a load I need to get it right.
Thanks for the input

I don't get it. Our friend from Finland has nothing good to say about anything. Friend Finman, stop being so critical. Your way isn't the only way. It's the way of a small operation and a small operator. Grow up, and accept there are other ways that are very acceptable when applied to that operation. Some of us are raising queens commercially, which multiplies all the usual issues. In fact, the challenges we face, and overcome, make your opinions laughable.

I'm sorry to talk this way to you, but come on. If you haven't got anything positive to add, zip it.

I have read on here that some experience high lose of Queens when running them as Quads . Is this not the case with you MP only asking as if I'm going to build a load I need to get it right.
Thanks for the input

I've had high losses running all configurations of mating nucs. Also, excellent results in the same.

So basically there's no right way, as always with bees lol
How about the mini frames, do you feel making a complete little frame is needed, would Top Bar frames work?

I don't get it. Our friend from Finland has nothing good to say about anything. Friend Finman, stop being so critical. Your way isn't the only way. It's the way of a small operation and a small operator. Grow up, and accept there are other ways that are very acceptable when applied to that operation. Some of us are raising queens commercially, which multiplies all the usual issues. In fact, the challenges we face, and overcome, make your opinions laughable.

I'm sorry to talk this way to you, but come on. If you haven't got anything positive to add, zip it.

:thanks:

Nos da

HM have you cut the lugs short or are they still standard?

Can someone direct me to reading about this/these method(s) please?

Thanks

The frames look like this.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 52
Thanks Beebreeder

(2nd year beginner here, with just 3 colonies)

Thinking of rearing a few queens and nucs this year starting with Nicot cells and still trying to work out the process from there.

Into a cell builder (not worked this out yet), then. . .

I was thinking of putting 2 dividers in a standard National BB (or, just occurred to me, a standard super) and letting the strong colony draw it out giving 3 x 3 frame mating nucs.

Is this a plan? Would mini-nucs be better? I'm thinking that I could reuse the drawn frames and, taking the dividers out, I could reuse the box.

. . . . Ben

(2nd year beginner here, with just 3 colonies)

Thinking of rearing a few queens and nucs this year starting with Nicot cells and still trying to work out the process from there.

Into a cell builder (not worked this out yet), then. . .

I was thinking of putting 2 dividers in a standard National BB (or, just occurred to me, a standard super) and letting the strong colony draw it out giving 3 x 3 frame mating nucs.

Is this a plan? Would mini-nucs be better? I'm thinking that I could reuse the drawn frames and, taking the dividers out, I could reuse the box.

. . . . Ben

I use mini nucs and 5 frame jumbo Lang nucs and Fat Beeman (Youtube) size nucs which are somewhere 1/3rd of the way from mini nucs to 5 frame nucs.

5 Frame nucs are easy as are 3.Basically same as full size hives..

But small mini nucs require careful attention to how you set them up, populate and feed them. I suggest if you want to go down that route either talk to someone who has expertise in that field or see if your Association uses them.. so you can get hands on experience.Or read a lot and make a written plan##
The advantage of mini nucs is they require fewer bees to populate - v important in spring, are MUCH easier to inspect and find the queen - and can be placed easily...which is very important if you end up raising over 10 queens or you garden/apiary may get flooded with nucs everywhere(not a good idea - robbing).

## I make plans written as if I am an idiot.:hairpull:. listing all the steps required by date. If you cannot do it on paper, you have less chance of doing it in real life.

Thanks madasafish. Written plan. I agree.

Last year I built them up to a double brood box and then did a split and it ended up being rather late. I'll know better this year when they should be expanding.

Not over ambitious. Three nucs with mated queens by the end of the year will do me. I've space for them.

Sorry wightbees for hijacking your thread. I'm also trying to work out what kit I'm going to make or modify to raise a few extra queens this year.

. . . . Ben

I also like the look of those folding frames, one national brood frames becomes three once folded. Anyone tried these, very simple to make.

Back