Desperately seeking help!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnb

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi Everyone.

I'm desperately seeking help with a neighbourly bee issue. I'm having a lot of trouble with a neighbour who is keeping 6-8 hives in a very substandard way and in a small almost derelict corner of his garden surrounded on all sides by private domestic gardens. We have put up with persistent swarms every Summer for the last 4 years. Roughly 1-2 per week. We had our first swarm of 2024 about 10 days ago and have had 3 further swarms since, but these aren't passive swarms, the bees are angry, hunting and stinging. I got stung on the bridge of my nose between my eyes yesterday whilst sitting in my garden minding my own business. I have a 2-year-old Granddaughter who I daren't bring here (I don't know her allergy status yet and daren't test it)

I've tried desperately to reason with the guy, we are really out of options in that regard. I don't even give him the opportunity to collect the swarm now, I call other bee-keepers.

Currently, his hives have lumps of honeycomb dumped on top of them and some with the lids off, I'm guessing in the hope of attracting further bees, but I can see Wasps there which I can't imagine is helping the situation.

The council have been, but they won't do anything unless they witness the problem. The British Beekeepers Association had little to offer. I really need a way to get this under control, the guy and would welcome any suggestions. I welcome all nature and have anything but support for all nature, but at this point this problem is at a level that nobody should have to endure.

This is the view today, some of his 'hives' have disappeared, but there are more of the green boxes now. I'm guessing he's working on the other hives and they'll return soon. Hurrah.

Photo of the hives removed by Dani.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is little I can say. I would consider a solicitors letter. As responsible beekeepers on this site I cannot see any of us condoning this method of keeping bees, it is akin to keeping a dangerous dog. Can you contact the local bee keeping association to see if he is a member of that? I am sorry that people like this exist. They bring down our good name

I would video and photograph the next few swarms, include enough context to confirm the location.
Once you have recorded evidence approach the council again and ask them to apply for an antisocial behaviour order.
The only other measures I can think of would probably not be legal!

I would have thought that members of the local BKA would be concerned about the risk of spreading disease represented by that. Perhaps someone should call the local inspector on his behalf :D

As mitigation, I might be tempted to have a friendly beekeeper install a bait hive somewhere in the garden where it won't be in the way so that with a bit of luck the swarms won't be looking for a new home for too long and they can be removed elsewhere quickly and easily. At least that might minimise the problem whilst a longer-term solution is found and, by keeping an eye on the entrance, give some warming that a swarm might be imminent.

Sadly though, I think if someone is keeping bees in what appears to be a relatively densely populated area and doesn't consider nor care for the effects they (may) have on other people, they're not likely to be receptive to much other than "getting legal". Might be worth asking around other near neighbours to see if they have problems with swarms as well?

James

I would video and photograph the next few swarms, include enough context to confirm the location.
Once you have recorded evidence approach the council again and ask them to apply for an antisocial behaviour order.
The only other measures I can think of would probably not be legal!

Apparently you risk the matter being officially classified as a 'dispute', which then sits on the records and has to be declared if/when you sell your home. I literally can't win!

There is little I can say. I would consider a solicitors letter. As responsible beekeepers on this site I cannot see any of us condoning this method of keeping bees, it is akin to keeping a dangerous dog. Can you contact the local bee keeping association to see if he is a member of that? I am sorry that people like this exist. They bring down our good name

It's sad, isn't it? I greatly support 'proper' beekeepers. I have a large garden with lots of foliage, including a 70+ foot Lime Tree that will soon be in flower and will be covered in bees. It's a spectacle and not one that generally bothers me as they go about their business and leave me alone. The tree doesn't seem to influence the swarms and the direction they take by the way (plus its not yet in flower).

I would have thought that members of the local BKA would be concerned about the risk of spreading disease represented by that. Perhaps someone should call the local inspector on his behalf :D

As mitigation, I might be tempted to have a friendly beekeeper install a bait hive somewhere in the garden where it won't be in the way so that with a bit of luck the swarms won't be looking for a new home for too long and they can be removed elsewhere quickly and easily. At least that might minimise the problem whilst a longer-term solution is found and, by keeping an eye on the entrance, give some warming that a swarm might be imminent.

Sadly though, I think if someone is keeping bees in what appears to be a relatively densely populated area and doesn't consider nor care for the effects they (may) have on other people, they're not likely to be receptive to much other than "getting legal". Might be worth asking around other near neighbours to see if they have problems with swarms as well?

James

It's it legal/acceptable for me to set up bait hives? I'd be very open to this, but do not wish to become a beekeeper! Might I just attract bees from further afield that would not otherwise have visited me?

It's it legal/acceptable for me to set up bait hives? I'd be very open to this, but do not wish to become a beekeeper! Might I just attract bees from further afield that would not otherwise have visited me?
Nothing wrong with setting up bait hives, though swarms will almost always hang up somewhere first before moving in so it may not be that helpful.

Apparently you risk the matter being officially classified as a 'dispute', which then sits on the records and has to be declared if/when you sell your home. I literally can't win!
Less of a problem if it's sorted though.
You may have to declare the bee nuisance anyway if you are selling.
I'm really sorry you are having this problem, the vast majority of most beekeepers are more responsible.

Not exactly doing himself any vaours in the popularity stakes.
Anti social behaviour and poor husbandary skills, the open feeding of old comb /stores is very much frowned upon . Not only bees and disease are attracted but every other insect interested as well. .

One suspects if he isn't open to reasonable discussion /requests , then any recourse may be a legal one.
Canvas the neighburs to see if they are also affected then a group complaint to the local enviromental health dept or a visit to CAB.

There is no law to say one can't have /keep bees but a decent beekeeper would know what the sensible limits are.

Last edited:

I like the idea of involving the local beekeepers association. If this neighbor is a member they could have a word. If not (they could still have a word but) they could find a member who would put a swarm box in a nearby garden and collect it when occupied. Yes it could attract bees from elsewhere but you'd have arranged for them to be taken away.

https://www.nadbka.co.uk/ and they have a BookFace page.

Acting as a peace maker in this instance would be good for beekeeping's reputation. But is it within the association's remit? (#edit) A job for the assoc. chairman?

. . . . Ben

Last edited:
I suspect we are not hearing the whole story. Posting pictures of your neighbours garden on a public forum hardly seems reasonable behaviour and is only going to make the situation worse.

Apart from the open feeding, the setup is probably the same as hundreds of beekeepers in the UK. What would be a reasonable number of hives to you? This is a 'small corner of garden', but how big are the gardens?

What you are seeing is probably not swarms, but robbing bees or orientation flights.

Grow a big hedge.

I suspect we are not hearing the whole story. Posting pictures of your neighbours garden on a public forum hardly seems reasonable behaviour and is only going to make the situation worse.
I agree and I have removed the photo.
@cnb
Contact your local BKA and ask them to inform the bee inspector. The hives have the potential for harbouring and spreading disease. A visit from an official might persuade him to move them.

Quicker than a hedge would be mesh extending upwards, 1" mesh should do, they don't normally fly through that, though of course you could go smaller. Take it up to about 10 feet.

Hi Everyone.

I'm desperately seeking help with a neighbourly bee issue. I'm having a lot of trouble with a neighbour who is keeping 6-8 hives in a very substandard way and in a small almost derelict corner of his garden surrounded on all sides by private domestic gardens. We have put up with persistent swarms every Summer for the last 4 years. Roughly 1-2 per week. We had our first swarm of 2024 about 10 days ago and have had 3 further swarms since, but these aren't passive swarms, the bees are angry, hunting and stinging. I got stung on the bridge of my nose between my eyes yesterday whilst sitting in my garden minding my own business. I have a 2-year-old Granddaughter who I daren't bring here (I don't know her allergy status yet and daren't test it)

I've tried desperately to reason with the guy, we are really out of options in that regard. I don't even give him the opportunity to collect the swarm now, I call other bee-keepers.

Currently, his hives have lumps of honeycomb dumped on top of them and some with the lids off, I'm guessing in the hope of attracting further bees, but I can see Wasps there which I can't imagine is helping the situation.

The council have been, but they won't do anything unless they witness the problem. The British Beekeepers Association had little to offer. I really need a way to get this under control, the guy and would welcome any suggestions. I welcome all nature and have anything but support for all nature, but at this point this problem is at a level that nobody should have to endure.

This is the view today, some of his 'hives' have disappeared, but there are more of the green boxes now. I'm guessing he's working on the other hives and they'll return soon. Hurrah.

Photo of the hives removed by Dani.
I can imagine how difficult this is for you especially will young people visiting. We have hives at the bottom of a very long garden and to be honest my grandchildren do not go near, my husband always reminds me, it only takes one sting. Hope it gets resolved for you

Reactions: cnb

Latest posts

Back