Demaree swarmed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me I try to work out why they produced the queen cells. If queen less they produce emergency cells, they have. No intentions to swarm, so usually don't. Supercedur,e cells are produced to replace a failing queen. Again no intention to swarm.. Swarm cells and they intend to swarm, so I will reduce to one.
The failure is when I interpret their intention wrong, or the bees just doing what bees do
I think the assumption is that supersedure cells are produced in the UBB because of the reduced Q pheromone due to the distance from the LBB and (if one is fitted) the restricted aperture afforded by the Demaree board. The bees do seem to build a lot of them though, which is more like QCs produced under the emergency or swarm impulse. The QCs don't look like emergency cells, but the conditions aren't conducive to promote swarming ie prior to Demaree the bees aren't in swarm mode, the Q is then separated from the bulk of the brood which results in QCs. I guess the bees are just confused.

this sounds like getting multiple queens mated without removing them from the top box. I've never heard of that. Have I misunderstood?
Yes, you've misunderstood.
Multiple QC's ends up with single virgin queen, she gets mated

I inspected the nuc I put the swarm from the Demaree into today. They had six frames of foundation and they've drawn and filled them all with honey, eggs and open brood. It's time to re-pot them but I'm short of kit (well, floors actually). I'm tempted to unite them with the UBB of their parent hive (assuming there's no Q in there). Good or bad idea?

If queen less they produce emergency cells, they have. No intentions to swarm, so usually don't.

That's the same message I heard which resulted in me having bees which swarmed. :oops: So with me, on average, they always do. ;)

In my experience with Demarre (I do quite a few every year) leaving multiple QC's in the top box does not cause swarming.

I have always taken your word on this and boy I hope you're right in my current case as my best colony popped up with sealed QCs in the top box. I don't think they've swarmed but I didn't see her (did see eggs) and they had a very early open QC downstairs. Just one. Will keep a close, close eye for next several days. Thanks for the explanation post: it's a great method.

and get them mated in the top box': this sounds like getting multiple queens mated without removing them from the top box. I've never heard of that. Have I misunderstood
yes - only one queen survives in the top box

I think the assumption is that supersedure cells are produced in the UBB because of the reduced Q pheromone ....... The bees do seem to build a lot of them though
I've seldom found that, unless the Demarree'd queen was on the way out anyway. I usually only get a handful - or none at all

Just checked the local apiary, 1 hive demaree 3 weeks ago has charged Qcs in the bottom and I had to perform an A/S. Another one is doing great, may need to do a 2nd demaree pretty soon. I found a virgin in the top box of this one and just made a 2 frames nuc with her. 3rd hive demaree 3 weeks ago is doing as planned but no Qcs in the top box.
Did you leave a single QC in the top box for the virgin that emerged? Suprised they didn't swarm..

Last edited:
Did you leave a single QC in the top box for the virgin that emerged? Suprised they didn't swarm..
They only tend to make 1, maybe 2 maximum as they see it as supercedure, not swarm preps. The separation between queen and brood through the super weakens pheromones scent and the bees on top think their queen is failing.

why surprised? I often end up with a few Demarrees making a new queen in the top box with the old queen still happily laying in the bottom, I then either decide which queen meets the gatepost in the autumn, or take the top box away to make an extra colony to cover spring mortalities.

why surprised? I often end up with a few Demarrees making a new queen in the top box with the old queen still happily laying in the bottom, I then either decide which queen meets the gatepost in the autumn, or take the top box away to make an extra colony to cover spring mortalities.
I must have been mis-informed. What's the process of creating a new colony from the top box? Did mine 4 days ago..

I must have been mis-informed. What's the process of creating a new colony from the top box? Did mine 4 days ago..
Once you have a decent QC, wait until it is sealed then make up a nuc with that frame and one two others with brood, a good shake of bees off the other frames. Replace those frames with frames of foundation in the top box

Latest posts

Back