Darkening reaction of honey with some foods

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nakedapiarist

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just wondering if anyone knows what causes it - I've been making some hawthorn vodka which comes out a very pale red initially but I sweetened it with a very small amount of my own honey - which is very pale. Over the next three or four days the vodka darkened to a rich tawny.

I've come across this before with mugwort in solution - add honey to it and it goes almost black.

Anyone know what the reaction is? I'm wondering if glucose oxidase in the honey is doing something with polyphenols in the plant material.

The hawthorn tastes great. I've also made some cocktail bitters :)

I did wonder about the peroxide content - and the pH. I might have to experiment with peroxide, acids and all sorts of lovely chemically things :)
The darkening's quite a handy thing to exploit in the liqueur side of things

I did wonder about the peroxide content - and the pH.

Hawthorn is high in anthocyanins, which can be used as an indicator.
I might have to experiment with peroxide, acids and all sorts of lovely chemically things
Well, it's something to do in the winter :) Don't forget to report back.

It's funny you should mention that but it's my next plan - sloes steeping at the moment. I don't add sugar until the end - I drain off the gin then add sugar to the fruit - it will draw a decent amount more liquid off the fruit and can then be used to sweeten the spirit.

Latest posts

Back