cut comb paraphernalia

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
so at our woodland apiary where we will only be removing comb as cut comb, I wanted something to place the frames on when cutting, looking around QD's today with SWMBO, and saw this, a potting tray for gardeners, will be ideal for doing the cut comb on, as the lip around edge will keep honey from going everywhere, and can then scoop up honey to add to any combs under the 8oz

also noticed their "kilner" glass jars, very cheap, ideal for adding upside down onto a crown board for comb in a jar

Cool....great idea.....I will be stealing it!

nice idea may have to invest myself.

tried the jar thing they showed no interested. goodluck let me know how you go

Did you use starter strips?

There's someone on one of the FB groups who has one on at the moment. Am intrigued to know how it turns out.

Would a potting tray be made of food safe plastic?
If the answer is "I don't know" then it's taboo!
VM

Would a potting tray be made of food safe plastic?
If the answer is "I don't know" then it's taboo!
VM

what is this world coming too, anyone here that was born in the 60's will know what I mean

do you have any statistics on the amount of people that have died or fallen seriously ill after eating honey processed on or in non food grade plastic containers, and surely, the whole point why people like cut comb is that it's sealed in it's own little wax container

"alldigging" yup, all I use is wax starters, even in the BB

what is this world coming too, anyone here that was born in the 60's will know what I mean

do you have any statistics on the amount of people that have died or fallen seriously ill after eating honey processed on or in non food grade plastic containers, and surely, the whole point why people like cut comb is that it's sealed in it's own little wax container

"alldigging" yup, all I use is wax starters, even in the BB

I know exactly what you mean! By current rules I should never have survived childhood.

There should be as little loose honey as possible, so don't go 'scooping up' too much.

It's TS who make the rules, I'd happily eat it after it was cut on a wooden worktop but that won't apply to everyone. Too much sanitisation, I agree. I find a cake tray is ideal for the job as the comb can drain and stay neat.

You could have just bought a large oven baking tray....

I'm hoping to do some myself when I can summon the energy to open the hives up.

You could have just bought a large oven baking tray....

:iagree:

Although I do find the large garden gravel trays are great for keeping things clean whilst extracting - one under supers awaiting attention, one under 'empty' supers and one under the uncapping arera to catch the drips - this honey doesn't find its way into the 'for sale' tank though (usually direct into my mouth!!)

Last edited:
Me too. I use those large square garden trays for moving supers in the car and storing while waiting to be extracted.
They are also useful for topping and tailing a stack of wet supers over winter.
I wouldn't sell honey off them though.
In my experience by the time you have done a super full of cut comb the tray will be swimming in honey with wax floating all over it.

I was hoping for some cut comb myself so I put in some unwired foundation. The bees however had other ideas. What they produced for me was very untidy and with bits of pollen in it. I had to just spin it out.

Latest posts

Back