Cookers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Well and truly off topic this one!

I've got a De Detrich stand alone cooker with an induction hob. The hob has stopped working, De Detrich don't make it any more so they're writing it off and giving me a refund. The problem is I can't find a decent replacement and I wondered if anyone on here might have any recommendations. It has to be 60cm wide (ie normal free standing cooker rather then a range) with an induction hob and pyrolytic oven (ideally one that'll go to 275 as well). The De Detrich seemed to be the only model that occupied it's particular point in the market, AEG do one which is similar but has a dual oven, doesn't get as hot, and doesn't do the cleaning.

Failing that, how hard is it to build a carcass around separates? In an ideal world I'd buy a separate hob and over, but I don't have the kitchen space to have them laid out separately.

Have you looked at separate built-in hobs and ovens that will fit in a 60cm kitchen cabinet?

just be careful that the controls are arranged on some ovens for 'built-in' (eye level oven) or 'built-under' (floor level oven) only, with most it doesn't matter, they're fine for either.
some 'built-in's can also be too tall for under a hob.

Failing that, how hard is it to build a carcass around separates? In an ideal world I'd buy a separate hob and over, but I don't have the kitchen space to have them laid out separately.

Very very easy. Nearly all ovens are designed to fit into a standard 60cm carcass. I had a whirlpool that never came up to temperature despite 2 call outs so I got a refund and bought a Fagor in a discount electrical supplier. Best oven ever! They are not common but well worth looking out for.

WRT a hob, same applies most 4 ring will fit a 60cm carcass, a 5 ring usually needs a 100cm. If possible you should get a gas hob instead. Heat is much more controllable and if you have a power outage you won't starve to death. Also, how many commercial kitchens use induction? None, professionals use gas.

... Also, how many commercial kitchens use induction? None, professionals use gas.

Quite a few do use induction.

In a cramped kitchen ("I don't have the kitchen space to have them laid out separately"), I wonder if having stashable induction units (thus giving you a larger clear worktop for prep when not cooking) might be an idea?
Something like a couple of these http://www.nisbets.co.uk/Caterlite-Double-Hob-Induction-Cooker/GG769/ProductDetail.raction which - please note - come from a catering supplier! :)

I'd like an oven wider than the 'standard' fitting limited by the 600mm unit module. They are made - though perhaps not currently with a DD badge? http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p...rds&crtag=AP&gclid=COqf54CjqsMCFUXItAodg2AArg

// Surprised about DD simply writing yours off ...

Quite a few do use induction.

In a cramped kitchen ("I don't have the kitchen space to have them laid out separately"), I wonder if having stashable induction units (thus giving you a larger clear worktop for prep when not cooking) might be an idea?
Something like a couple of these http://www.nisbets.co.uk/Caterlite-Double-Hob-Induction-Cooker/GG769/ProductDetail.raction which - please note - come from a catering supplier! :)

I'd like an oven wider than the 'standard' fitting limited by the 600mm unit module. They are made - though perhaps not currently with a DD badge? http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p...rds&crtag=AP&gclid=COqf54CjqsMCFUXItAodg2AArg

// Surprised about DD simply writing yours off ...

My understanding is you won't find a high end kitchen without some induction plates, as much for the low temperature work as the high. But then you'll also find a big green egg in most of them.

The problem is we cook a lot (both greedy, and with a new born baby in the house too!) so don't want to have something that we have to put away. We have bought a temporary portable one as a stop gap until we get the hob sorted.

DD went bust and were taken over by Brandt. Happily they took on the warranty of the DD stuff (and just as happily I bought when there was a promotion on for extended warranty). The model in question was being discontinued when I bought it so was a massive discount (over £2k down to under £1k) but they don't make it or the parts any more. I was surprised when they wrote it off, and really wish they hadn't!

Good to find out that they'll fit into a standard 60cm carcass. I think that might be the option to go for.

My thinking was not something that you HAVE to put away, but something that you COULD put away! :)

Yes, low power control on induction can be very gentle.
But not always! Nisbets heavy-duty 3kw single induction 'ring' (that was on special before Christmas) turns out to have a minimum power of 500w ... which isn't very gentle! (Which put me off, even at the offer price.)

Latest posts

Back