Combining Colonies

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amandaw

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Hi All,

I have two colonies I would like to combine. A weak, seemingly Q- colony, and an expanding colony created from a split of a very good queen.

I'm planning to use the newspaper method to combine. All the info I've read says for the weaker colony to go on top of the stronger. However, I'd really like the combined colony to go where the weaker colony is currently located.

So..... what are the potential issues of not following the 'weaker on top' advice against the standard approach and then shuffling the hive 3 feet every couple of days (over bumpy ground!)

Thanks!

Thanks very much for your comments, I'll shall combine tomorrow as planned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Further to this thread. If the two hives to be combined arre more than three feet apart, won't the moved-hive bees tend to move back to the original position when they've eaten through the newspaper?

At what time of day is best to do the combining as there will be foraging bees out and when they come back the hive will have gone.

To sum up: This is the image I have in my head, from the bottom.

Non-moved brood box, queen excluder (queen is in non-moved box), non-moved super, newspaper, moved-broodbox, moved-super, crown board and roof. Does this seem reasonable?

If the two hives to be combined arre more than three feet apart, won't the moved-hive bees tend to move back to the original position when they've eaten through the newspaper?

They re orientate so not a problem.

Non-moved brood box, queen excluder (queen is in non-moved box), non-moved super, newspaper, moved-broodbox, moved-super, crown board and roof. Does this seem reasonable?

That's what I would do plus put another QE on top of newspaper to keep it in place and reduce the chance of the queen roaming too far from her own brood.

A very experienced man told me that it makes no odds whether queen is over or under, and that he has often made the decision based on the look of the frames - the box with poorer condition frames goes on top to make replacement easier.

Will do. Now just have to await a day when it's not going to be raining.

Doesn't matter about rain. You won't lose bees popping on a QX with some newspaper taped to it. Loosen the box you are going to move from its floor. If your top colony is big a travel screen might be a good idea or 2p coins at each corner to lift the top brood box off the QX will give enough ventilation till bees break through the newspapers

Last edited:
Too late for the OP, but "seemingly Q- colony" is not good enough. Being conclusive is the way to go...

I have only ever once united where the weak colony on top did not attempt to break through the newspaper. Weather turned chilly and they clustered in one corner. Lesson learned.

As Erichalfbee says, loosening the floor, prior to transferring, will avoid disturbing the bees unnecessarily when actually transferring. If the hives are close together, a swift transfer might not even lose any bees if done late in the evening.

If the hives are close together, a swift transfer might not even lose any bees if done late in the evening.

The only time I lost a few hundred bees was during a flow with lots of bees fanning on the floor well after bedtime. That was a lesson learned and if I ever unite under those circumstances again I will make sure the hives are right next to each other.

Too late for the OP, but "seemingly Q- colony" is not good enough. Being conclusive is the way to go...

You're quite right oliver90owner and I decided not to combine at that time for that very reason!

The seemingly Q- colony did indeed have a Q, who is now laying and marked. The colonies are still to be combined as I want to reduce the number of colonies but at least I should now be able to find the queen and remove her first....

Latest posts

Back