Colony Losses

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremyfro

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Beehaus
Number of Hives
Possibly...5 and a bit...depends on the bees.
How is everyone doing so far?
It was said that this winter would mean higher colony losses for many beekeepers.
Is this so? And those who have sadly lost colonies....what are the reasons...do you think?

lost 1 out of 5 hives this winter, it was a small hive that i packed with insulation but still chilld out

have 8 hives and only had to add fondant to one. I go down to the apiary and have a listen at the hives, they seem to be in a tighter cluster now than they were at Christmas. Just keeping an eye on them until some warmer weather arrives later in March giving me an opportunity to do the first inspection of the year. Perhaps a touch nosema, with the tell tales signs on the front of the hive.

Lost two so far.wasps were still in and out of them in January.hives emptied of stores.

I'll wait until winter is over and spring well under way before I make any assessments as to colony losses. Hives too iced over to even think about what the bees are doing inside yet.

Its far too early to start to count what colonies have survived the winter, lets wait until April/May.

Did you not see all the advice regarding wasps during the Autumn period, either way that is sad.
They were ok end of August.the problem seems to have happened later when I wasn't expecting it and not going to the site to inspect.the problem was only at one apiary and the wasps were still robbing In January.
Hadn't seen a wasp at my other sites since November.

I'll wait until winter is over and spring well under way before I make any assessments as to colony losses. Hives too iced over to even think about what the bees are doing inside yet.

:iagree::iagree: a hand full of bees left in a hive can make it look ok at this time of the year when flying

3 so far plus 2 that had to be destroyed mid September from EFB.

My concern is the EFB in my hives in spring it could get a whole lot worse that just this. But wont find out until mid april when there is a good amount of brood in there to decide if any more will need to be either treated or destroyed due to it.

One of the plusses of putting on pollen patties was it was a very good indicator of strength. The weak couldnt use it and the strong did.

If ITLD reads this then aye an empty silage pit is a very interesting location. Bernard had a raging row with the farm manager as he was convinced he had sprayed...

PH

All of mine have activity, but no idea how many bees are actually there so wouldn't want to say they are safe yet!

Ditto !

Next week should give them a lift this cold snap set to ease Tuesday here anyway.

There is forage out there, again here anyway, good amounts of Dandelion, Mahonia, Crocus, Snowdrop, willow about to flower.

Suburban forage is reasnoble now.

Even nectar available , for the doubters evident by the close up pics in last few days I have taken showing bees with proboscis's extended collecting nectar on flowering Rosemary, Mahonia and Garden Erika Spp Heather.

All the more reason for Beeks to plant such plants near Apiaries for early essential forage. Now small amounts make a BIG difference.

3 so far plus 2 that had to be destroyed mid September from EFB.

My concern is the EFB in my hives in spring it could get a whole lot worse that just this. But wont find out until mid april when there is a good amount of brood in there to decide if any more will need to be either treated or destroyed due to it.

I hope all is well when you do open up.

Who knows, this time a few years ago everything was hunky dory and a few weeks later one hive had Sh!t everywhere.
So far though every egg a bird. "touch wood"

Different weather, we already have spring pollen coming in regularly. I've been in each colony and checked queen status and stores. My suggestion is to fit in a spring inspection as soon as pollen is available.

I lost one colony from queen failure late last fall, the colony dwindled to nothing in December.

Latest posts

Back