Collected pollen life

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've started using a pollen trap on one of my hives for an hour a week, just to give me a good idea of what they are collecting. I've been amazed at how much you can collect in just an hour (yes, I know they are raising loads of brood at the moment and need pollen, but until you see an hours worth it's hard to visualise how much they actually bring in). It's made me wonder about collecting it over the season and using it in the early Spring to get the queen laying early for the OSR that's all around here. I'm thinking I could either mix it in with small amounts of fondant, or pour it into sterilised drawn comb to place in the hive next to the brood.

So, my question is, how do I preserve the pollen? I understand it can degrade quite quickly. Would vacuum packing and freezing help, or how about storing in a jar covered in honey?

PS, I expected last weeks to be OSR, but it was actually willow, which I thought had finished.

Thoughts?

I have made pollen patty, where the protein parts are dry yeast, soya flour and irradiated pollen.

The pollen has been sometimes 10 years old and patty has worked perfectly..

Patty needs 20% pollen. Otherwise bees do not like it.

I have made pollen patty, where the protein parts are dry yeast, soya flour and irradiated pollen.

The pollen has been sometimes 10 years old and patty has worked perfectly..

Patty needs 20% pollen. Otherwise bees do not like it.
Thanks, useful. When you say patty needs 20% pollen, do you mean at least 20% or no more than 20%?

Thanks, useful. When you say patty needs 20% pollen, do you mean at least 20% or no more than 20%?
Pollen is valuable. I mean 20%.

I have tried 10%, and 50% out of hives did not eate the patty.

If you're doing that, why not just wait until there's a frame of mostly pollen then freeze it for next year?
If you have a frame of pollen you do not need to keep it in a freezer.

Bees need pollen frames in August to rear winterbees. One frame of pollen is needed to make one frame of brood.

Back