Chimney observation bee hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ugcheleuce

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
7-10
Hello

While researching the Hancock hive, I came upon this unrelated observation hive. The flight entrance is high above the observers, so you can have a live observation hive in a fairly public location.

* video
* web site

I wonder to what degree one can replace the wooden chimney with just a 3-4 meter tall pipe with an entrance at the top that is made visible to the bees (e.g. by attaching a traffic cone to the top).

Samuel

Attachments

• beehive-st-martin-de-boscherville-normandy-11.jpg
    beehive-st-martin-de-boscherville-normandy-11.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 52
The chimney is just means of making the bees fly high to get in and out the hive at the bottom so they don'tt fly into the punters.

Yes, and it may not be as clear on the image in my first post, but the flight entrance is 3-3.5 meters above the ground, so no-one is going to get bees in their hair. Here's a picture with children and a few adults, for scale. If you take into account the known fact that bees usually fly at about 6-8 meters above the ground before dropping down to the hive entrance, its clear just how safe this ought to be.

Attachments

• P1030504 440x500.jpg
    P1030504 440x500.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
If you take into account the known fact that bees usually fly at about 6-8 meters above the ground before dropping down to the hive entrance, its clear just how safe this ought to be.

It is really mad that ordinary people are that near the hive without protection.

Out of mind show.

The beekeeper should be in prison.

Latest posts

Back