Changing the order of my supers?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radhartgeorge

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Put a 3rd super (wireless foundation for cut comb) on my hive last week when during the inspection I saw that the two below were full but uncapped.

Today (7 days later) they are starting to draw out the foundation well but I thought I'd move the new super to the middle rather than the top. My logic is that this might give the illusion of more space as it will be less far for bees to travel from the entrance/brood box to the super that has space. I also hope that it will increase the number of bees drawing out the foundation on the new super.

This is based on nothing but a hunch so I thought I'd post something here in case I was committing the ultimate crime or something?

Thoughts welcome.
Rad

I like to give the illusion of no stores so I put empty supers on top of the BB, Again on a hunch

Would it be a good idea to checkerboard (alternative drawn and undrawn frames) in the 2 bottom supers? Checkerboarding breaks up the solid band of honey that rings the top of the brood nest. This band of honey signals the bees that winter preparations are complete and it’s time to swarm. When the band is interrupted, more storage areas are exposed, and the bees defer swarming until the empty spaces are filled. Just a thought.

Last edited:
I'm with Redwood. Also even less far for the bees to travel. More bees? Don't think there will be any more bees for wax drawing because it is in a different place. They will draw it if/when they need it. Just like the capping - they will do it when the cells are full of honey at a suitable water content and when they are not likely to be using it shortly, as well as when they get to it. I don't know which it was in the case of your colony.

No ultimate crime and you can put it where you choose. Different people have different preferences, but just above the brood nest will be quite warm and handy (should they need some nectar for the brood at the present time). Might be less handy for them if there is a June gap, mind.

Last year I put each new super immediately under the previous supers and directly on top of the brood box, can't say for sure that it worked any better than just putting them on top of the stack but certainly didn't cause any problems.

I put my supers on with drawn comb frames on the outside and four frames of foundation in the middle.

Another good reason for sticking the new super on the bottom is that you can then remove the top pne when capped without having to go through the whole stack.
Cazza

Put a 3rd super (wireless foundation for cut comb)
Rad

when I do cut comb, I just use 50mm starter strips, that way I can cut out and leave that 50mm making the comb 100% natural, surely having a full sheet of foundation in, means a solid middle section??

also being a tight git, one pack of wireless 16x10 (commercial) is then enough to do around 50 super frames

Back