Cautiously optimistic newbie!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know if you are a horse keeper or have aspirations to become one but an excess of rich, well nourished grass can be a problem in itself if EMS or laminitis come to call. Just saying.
Thankfully I'm not and don't. They're too big for me! :)

My wife has two horses, has kept them for over 15 years now. She has a good doer (she calls him "a fatty"), so we make use of rotation onto long grass, track systems and restricted grazing depending on the weather, alongside hay for the days the grass is far too sugary. She seems to know what she's doing and I go along with it.

The land is actually split in two, 50/50 between equestrian use and agricultural use. We plan to get the agricultural side cut for hay.

I was a complete beginner at the start of this year. I found the Haynes manual a good reference, lots of pictures and not too in depth, ideal for a novice. I joined the local bee keeping association and went to the apiary sessions throughout the summer which was invaluable. They provided all the gear so I could try before I bought anything. It is also a good way to make sure it’s for you before you spend a load of money and then stick your hands into 30,000 bees and change your mind about them!

I was a complete beginner at the start of this year. I found the Haynes manual a good reference, lots of pictures and not too in depth, ideal for a novice. I joined the local bee keeping association and went to the apiary sessions throughout the summer which was invaluable. They provided all the gear so I could try before I bought anything. It is also a good way to make sure it’s for you before you spend a load of money and then stick your hands into 30,000 bees and change your mind about them!
I keep seeing good things about the Haynes manual, so I think I'll grab that.

How have you found the journey overall?

I've taken the advice in this thread and done two things:
  • I ordered the Haynes book
  • I contacted my local Beekeeping association and asked to book on a course (they have one in Feb 2023)
I can't wait!

Its good to go on a course ,I,ve seen some people who wanted to start beekeeping feel so intimidated when they actually open a hive that they decide its not for them.Some others find there is more to it than they thought buy all the gear and after a year give up. I hope you enjoy your beekeeping for many years ahead.

Its good to go on a course ,I,ve seen some people who wanted to start beekeeping feel so intimidated when they actually open a hive that they decide its not for them.Some others find there is more to it than they thought buy all the gear and after a year give up. I hope you enjoy your beekeeping for many years ahead.
Exactly right advice to try getting up close and personal to thousands of bees before spending n pounds of hard earned. Everyone who approaches me about starting beekeeping gets stuck in a spare suit and introduced to an open hive before progressing any further.

I keep seeing good things about the Haynes manual, so I think I'll grab that.

How have you found the journey overall?
It’s been a fascinating journey so far. I was given a swarm in early June so no honey this year, just hoping they survive the winter. There’s certainly a lot more to it than I first thought but worth the effort. I couldn’t have done it without the support of the local association.

I couldn’t have done it without the support of the local association.
That's exactly the feeling I have, I think without help I'll fail and the bees' welfare will be at risk. I want happy healthy bees.

Here are a few more photos I've taken (one isn't strictly bee related):

22319-honey-bee-15330592048-o.jpg

22318-honey-bee-15330512760-o.jpg

22317-hornet-eating-a-fly-20580517923-o.jpg

Last edited:
  • I contacted my local Beekeeping association and asked to book on a course (they have one in Feb 2023)
I can't wait!
In addition to all the above good advice, assuming your introductory course goes well, I usually suggest having colonies in two hives asap (funds permitting). No two colonies are the same so you learn faster and there are situations when a strong colony can donate brood or stores to help a weaker one. With only one colony, if you were unlucky and it died, you might have to wait another year before starting again.

It sounds as though your spouse is on-side - some are very kitchen-proud and get upset by sticky door handles, floors etc, in the extracting season!

It sounds as though your spouse is on-side - some are very kitchen-proud and get upset by sticky door handles, floors etc, in the extracting season!
My wife routinely walks mud through the house, transports horse poo samples on my car seat and washes her clothes with horse treats still in the pockets. 😖

When it comes to being house proud, there’s no danger! 😂
In addition to all the above good advice, assuming your introductory course goes well, I usually suggest having colonies in two hives asap (funds permitting). No two colonies are the same so you learn faster and there are situations when a strong colony can donate brood or stores to help a weaker one. With only one colony, if you were unlucky and it died, you might have to wait another year before starting again.
That’s my plan and it’s good to see I’m thinking along the right lines. I’m definitely looking at getting at least two hives, possibly up to four. No more than that in my first year though.

I'm now a member of the Nottinghamshire Beekeepers Association. :D

If anybody is a member, perhaps I'll see you at the meetings or training sessions.

I'm looking at February for the beginners course. My plan will be to get two or three colonies once I'm a good way into the training sessions.

I'm so excited! 🥳

Also.....have a think or a read up on what type of hives you plan to use....really the main options are either wooden (cedar) or poly...each has their lovers and haters.... it's a personal choice really..
The main reason I mention it because the major stockists of hives and gear etc....all have sales during the winter and in the new year.....and equipment can be MUCH MUCH cheaper then, rather than waiting for the spring when you kinda need stuff 'yesterday'...I'm just finishing my second year beekeeping...so I'm far from an expert....but I always buy the gear I think I will need in the winter (ready for the next year).....I always buy 2nd quality and flat packed....it will save you hundreds especially when you're starting out....2nd quality just means it may have knots or be a bit rougher, the bees don't seem to mind though! Assembling yourself will also give you a hands on feel to how your hives work and fit together...plus once you have the empty hives sitting waiting for residents you'll be buzzin' to get started (sorry for the bad pun) 😂🤣

I'm now a member of the Nottinghamshire Beekeepers Association. :D

If anybody is a member, perhaps I'll see you at the meetings or training sessions.

I'm looking at February for the beginners course. My plan will be to get two or three colonies once I'm a good way into the training sessions.

I'm so excited! 🥳
You might like to put the date of the Lincolnshire Bee Auction 2023 in your diary. The timing could be fortuitous for you but I suggest taking along a hard headed pal to advise what you actually NEED as opposed to what seems attractive.
Lincoln District Bee Auction | Sat 25 Mar

That's a great idea!

I'll have to research creating a pond. I have a feeling my wife my not agree though, as water means flies, and horses suffer from flies.

Did I just walk into dodgy territory? :LOL:
Ummm I would go with the Haynes Beekeeping manual personally. Don’t take BBKA advice as gospel…..

I can't wait!
Try and get a good mentor if possible. I found it invaluable.

Hi , I’m a new member hoping to start my bee keeping journey soon.
I’m in a similar position with a paddock next door to me and my neighbour has kindly agreed to be allow a couple of hives on his land . I have just fenced off an area and he has now had an enforcement notice from the council. I spoke to the officer who had said bees are not allowed on paddock without a change of use of the land as they are not agriculture.
Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated as I have spent a hugs amount on fencing and may have to take it down.

Back