Cast Swarm in Nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckwyns

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Quite a few, wife says too many!!
Collected a cast swarm (from one of my hives) yesterday and housed them in a 5 frame nuc on foundation, I actually picked the virgin queen up and put in the hive. The problem I have is, on looking today the hive is bursting at the seams, so what I need to know is, is it alright to now transfer them to a brood box to give them more room (this box wasn't ready at the time) or should I leave well alone. Many thanks in advance.

i'd keep them packed - it'll be a good few weeks before HM is mated and brood emerges to replace natural losses.

As always - depends. Like 'on the weather'; If the weather comes good they will be laying down honey and pollen stores ready for her coming into lay. No good if they are unable to expand. At this time I would only be giving them enough space and some feed (as stores are zilch), but the brood box restricted with a dummy/divider could be virtually the same as an overcrowded nuc and may well offer some advantage shortly. Your choice really. I have better things in mind for my nucs shortly (says he, hoping).

Have a look. If they have pretty much drawn out at least some comb on all 5 frames, that is kind of them saying they need a bigger box. Drawn comb on 4 frames and I would probably put them in a bigger box.

Lots of swarms are too big for a 5 frame nuc box - second swarms included.

Thank you all for the advice, when it is written the light seems to come on.

when it is written the light seems to come on

Then consider writing it yourself.

A plain piece of paper and brainstorm the topic until exhausted of any possible connecting item.

Then tidy up the ideas discounting the obvious rubbish thoughts... Then concentrate on the more important points that arise and you will soon learn how to analyse the alternatives and come to a rational conclusion as to your best course of action.

Of course there may be several viable alternatives (not so, in this particular situation) and you then choose a method, while retaining the others for future use, should the method chosen turn out to have unforeseen down-sides.

It is then not so long before you dispense with the basic brainstorming session.

RAB

when it is written the light seems to come on

Then consider writing it yourself.

A plain piece of paper and brainstorm the topic until exhausted of any possible connecting item.

Then tidy up the ideas discounting the obvious rubbish thoughts... Then concentrate on the more important points that arise and you will soon learn how to analyse the alternatives and come to a rational conclusion as to your best course of action.

Of course there may be several viable alternatives (not so, in this particular situation) and you then choose a method, while retaining the others for future use, should the method chosen turn out to have unforeseen down-sides.

It is then not so long before you dispense with the basic brainstorming session.

RAB

But wouldn't that make you redundant RAB?

But wouldn't that make you redundant RAB?

To be honest, I would much prefer the 'keepers of bees', out there, to become beekeepers. That means thinking for themselves.

It is not rocket science and most manipulations are limited to available kit, when it comes down to actually doing the logical (and usually simple) things.

Yes, it can appear to be a steep learning curve, but usually steeper for those that follow anecdotal advice, without any regard for their actual situation, and end up in a mess.

Those relying on beekeeping for a living soon sort themselves out for maximum yield. Hobbyists can be satisfied with an adequate harvest.

There are some fairly contrasting methods - per eg, queen clipping and automatic immediate replacement of the old queen with a laying queen for the commercial, compared to the hobbyist who may patiently await the emergence of a new queen, then for her to get mated and eventually (usually) start laying fresh brood.

Both methods work. Mostly the experienced hobbyists retain the bees by doing an A/S. Some don't always manage that and some don't even bother if a swarm is produced and departs to pastures new. A whole spectrum, but easily sorted if you think about what is happening and what you want to achieve.

Simple, really.

So far better to teach how to keep bees than answering the same questions, of what to do next, over and over again.

RAB

So asking questions about beekeeping is to be discouraged!
What shall we talk about?

So asking questions about beekeeping is to be discouraged!

If you don't even recognise that thinking for yourself is a requirement to become a beekeeper, you will never be more than a simple 'operative'.

Now where did anyone say questions should be discouraged. Maybe you don't recognise the difference between questions for learning and questions just so that you don't have to think yourself. There are some that are unable to learn how things work; most just need a shove in the right direction.

Latest posts

Back